choosing wire gauge/size for engine looms?

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: choosing wire gauge/size for engine looms?

Post by Jon K »

Keep in mind that the amperage and wire size that DTA refers to is relative to a quality wire such as Raychem 55, etc. They use a nice jacket. Some ordinary 22 gauge wire with crap jacketing cannot carry 10A.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

Very true, and not an area I'd economise on either; there are plenty of good suppliers doing high quality proper automotive cable, (and connectors) at reasonable prices, without having to resort to cheap low spec stuff.

Nothing will make your life hell in an environment like a car quite as quickly as poor wiring and grounding.
ProStockVW
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 49

Post by ProStockVW »

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a thicker gauge wire? I'm using 18G for the injectors, 12V and ECU, and 20G for the the 3 TPS connections. I'm in the process of rewiring the entire engine compartment and this is an issue I can address now.
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance
MSEL
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

The only reason you need 18awg wire for injectors is for strength in the loom. Against is the cost, weight and physical size. At the end of the day copper is a commodity and wire is largely copper so the larger the wire, the higher the cost - assuming everything else (like insulation quality) is the same.

All our looms we make are 20awg mil spec wire for the "average" customer. For professional teams we are down to 24 and 26awg depending on the connectors they want to use and what we are connecting up (obviously coils require larger wiring).
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

A lot of the quality loom makers use a mesh like fabric tube stuff with just heat shrink at the ends or where wires need to branch out. Leaves the looms nice and flexible but bundled tight enough. I found a fully 'shrunk' loom can get stiff just like pvc tape wrapped ones - not stickie electricians tape - spawn of the devil that stuff!