How to wire up coil per plug?

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

How to wire up coil per plug?

Post by VR6Turbo »

I was looking at DTA's sample BMW M3 S50B32 map to get some ideas for mine.

This engine runs COPs (as far as I know), but in the "Coil per plug" settings, it's switched off. How have they been wired up?

It also has twin spark ticked, but is that actually 2 plugs per cylinder or some kind of software hack to perform a different function?

Is it possible to group 2 COPs together in 3 pairs or are COPs supposed to be fired sequentially?

I'm used to wasted spark so this is all new to me.
VR6Turbo

Re: How to wire up coil per plug?

Post by VR6Turbo »

Sorry, ignore or delete. Page 5 on the wiring diagram explains how they fire.
x30xe
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by x30xe »

This is good question even it is explainend in diagram. This twin spark setup is used when one wants to run coil on plug system as wasted spark (no cam sensor).
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

VR6Turbo wrote:I was looking at DTA's sample BMW M3 S50B32 map to get some ideas for mine.

This engine runs COPs (as far as I know), but in the "Coil per plug" settings, it's switched off. How have they been wired up?

It also has twin spark ticked, but is that actually 2 plugs per cylinder or some kind of software hack to perform a different function?

Is it possible to group 2 COPs together in 3 pairs or are COPs supposed to be fired sequentially?

I think that DTA's option of "Twin spark activated" is very confusing as so many users assume that this means twin spark plugs, why they didn't just say "Wasted spark" I don't know!

Martin
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Yep, it's what I assumed too because some 911s and Alfa Romeos do actually have 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

So if I wanted to run COPs as wasted spark then, thereby avoiding the complication of sequential firing, I just wire each COP to a coil driver and then tick "Twin Spark"?

This is good info. I'm glad I asked now!
razzor

Post by razzor »

So to clarify this should be ticked if using individual coils as wasted spark but should not be ticked if using a coil pack !
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

mefmotorsport wrote:
VR6Turbo wrote:I was looking at DTA's sample BMW M3 S50B32 map to get some ideas for mine.

I think that DTA's option of "Twin spark activated" is very confusing as so many users assume that this means twin spark plugs, why they didn't just say "Wasted spark" I don't know!

Martin
I do agree, but it is more versatile than wasted spark. It's primary intention was for rotary engines where there was a leading and trailing spark.
But of course it's handy that with a 0deg offset it can be used to achieve a wasted spark setup too.
VR6Turbo

Post by VR6Turbo »

Thanks for that, I understand how it works now!