Generic map/running in

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Daniboy123
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Generic map/running in

Post by Daniboy123 »

Hi, a few questions if I may to you knowledgeable people out there. I've built a 2litre 16vg60 vw engine which is going to need running in. I've also rewired the car to utilise a dta s80. Would it be foolish to try and get the car up with a generic map? Could I run the car in closed loop mode for example just to get it started alongside a generic map?. I'd at least like to be able to get the car to start and ensure that everything is OK, no leaks etc but I don't want to have any adverse effect on the bedding in period. Thanks.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: Generic map/running in

Post by katana »

A generic map should start the engine what happens after that depends on how similar or dis-similar your installation is compared to the generic - no one can speculate on that. Close loop running is not ideal until map is pretty close IMO - certainly I wouldn't use it for running in!
rxboxster

Post by rxboxster »

yeah you need to get the map close,

You dont have to rag the crap out of it to map it up.

Is it a road or race car?
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Make sure you get a wideband lambda sensor installed and tweak the fuel map yourself while its running in, stay away from rich mixtures to avoid any possibility of bore wash.

Timing map should be fine for running in at light loads, you could pull 3 or 4 degrees out of the whole map if you were worried.
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

I have an innovate wideband sensor so that will give me an accurate idea of how its fuelling. With a generic map in place and the car running what kind of lambda figure should I be aiming for? It's a road car. Supercharged, 2litre, Bosch 440cc injectors with TPS and MAP sensor will be running wasted spark with a coilpack.
This may be a daft question but why would running the car temporarily in closed loop so it tries to maintain a certain value be such a problem?. I'm only talking about getting it started and ensuring no leaks or other issues so I can take it to a professional.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Once I had a car starting I've used closed loop to let it run up to temp - to be fair it's not hard to adjust a couple of cells to get it closer though anyway. Otherwise it might flood before it can trim back or vice versa.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I'm providing a start up map from my car, which has the same displacement and injectors, so it should be close enough to run in.
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

Thanks Alex. So with the map uploaded and the car turning over, good oil pressure crank signal fuel and spark is there anything else I'll need to do before starting?. Once running is it just a case of monitoring my wideband?. What would be a good lambda figure to ensure I'm not overfuelling?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Mine has wide band turned on, so that's all set for you. Just monitor it to make sure it's where you expect it to be. Which one is it?

The only thing you'll need to check is the crank sensor angle.
Daniboy123

Post by Daniboy123 »

It's the Mtx-l digital kit