E48 eco connection problems

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
yourlocalmp
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 73.01

E48 eco connection problems

Post by yourlocalmp »

HI All Im in need of some help have an E48i (ignition only) and its being used to run my Zetec on carbs iv previously installed a base map, and then the car has sat dormant for several years. recently i started work back on the car and now am having issues connecting to the ecu.the car runs so i know ECU is good, my original laptop with serial has long since gone and now I'm struggling with usb serial adaptors, i have purchased from mef motorsport and its a prolific unit.. but still no joy, is anyone in the surrey/south london area able to help me out with a known good cable laptop etc that i can use to test my ecu ?
many thanks
Russ
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: E48 eco connection problems

Post by Alex DTA »

Try following this:

yourlocalmp

Post by yourlocalmp »

Thanks but I have tried that.. I have tried Xp vista windows 10. All with the corresponding. Drivers listed. On the Web site and with different computers. I have two prolific USB adaptors and two 15-9 pin serial cables.. And am looking patience with the ecu.. I'm just after a known working laptop and cable to test my ecu. Rather then sending back to dta to test/repair
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Is your 15-9 pin wired as per the wiring diagram, i.e. pins 1-5 straight through?
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I have a working 'old' laptop that has a serial port and USB ports and I have a serial to USB cable that worked with my old Motec M8 (runs DOS - out of the ark vintage) Its running XP and has S60 software loaded - no E48 as I didn't need it.....obviously - so sort of depends where you are / need to be - I'm Camberley ie. Surrey / Hants / Berks border
Antral

Post by Antral »

Make sure you are using DTAWin NOT DTASWin some people have made that mistake in the past.

Tony.
yourlocalmp

Post by yourlocalmp »

I have tried all the links and youtube videos from Dta and still no luck i have 2 cables one purchased and one made by the wireman at my work.. so have no reason to believe these don't work I'm only use DTAwin not DTASwin
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

There are only two things to look at.

COM port settings
If you get an error "8002 Invalid Port Number" then the port isn't set correctly.
If you don't see that error, then the port number is set correctly.
Make sure the port settings are correct (57600 baud being the most important one).

Wiring
If there are no COM port errors, and the ECU still won't connect, it's either a wiring problem, or a damaged ECU.

Hope that helps.
yourlocalmp

Post by yourlocalmp »

thanks Alex what would it cost to send the eco to you to test ? and repair if thats possible,, obviously the eco works so i assume is simply a com port issue ?? or am i being nieve as its an old unit ?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Send it an we'll see if we can connect. No charge.
Repairs on those are now unlikely due to the age.