Cam tooth error count on diagnostic display

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Borla
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Cam tooth error count on diagnostic display

Post by Borla »

Hi all. We're still trying to put the miss-fire to bed on the S1000rr. On the diagnostic display we have 250 odd cam tooth errors, but was wondering when this count starts from as we have done a fair bit of running recently. I realise there is a reset button at the bottom of the window but we have never used this. So is the count from the last map change? The user manual does not cover this question.

Thanks.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Cam tooth error count on diagnostic display

Post by Rob Stevens »

The count is from the last 'reset'
I reset it every time I go in there.
Borla

Post by Borla »

Thanks Rob, so with a count of 250 odd over 2 to 3 hours running I can ignore this and look elswhere.
Last edited by Borla on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

No, but this may be a VR sensor? and give a poor signal at low speed. If that is the problem you will see the count rising at low rpm. If this is happening try setting 'only sequential above' 2000 rpm
Have a look at the diagnostic screen as the engine is running, this should highlight if there is a problem in this area. One of my engines throws a few errors during cranking but that's all, but that's a hall sensor.
Borla

Post by Borla »

IIRC we have the engine set to run sequential only above 2000rpm, but will check this to be sure.

We had an issue with the standard BMW electronic hall effect tps, the ecu wasn't happy with it and it was causing a random miss-fire from start up, this has been cured by fitting a 'standard' resistive tps. What we have now is a time related miss-fire. The engine will start and run, but after a few laps the miss-fire will return. The engine will not rev but idles fine, bear in mind it idles at around 1600rpm so the slightest touch of throttle takes it out of batch and into sequential. Switch the ecu off and on and on again and all is fine for a couple more laps.

Stupidly I forgot to tick the check boxes of any useful things to watch in the data logger, so can't refer to that.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yeh, get the logging working, blind without it
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

250 cam errors is nothing. You will often get a couple as the ECU transitions from wasted spark to sequential, so you can ignore low counts.
At 3000 RPM you're looking at 25 cam pulses per second, at 12000 it will
200. If there was a genuine cam sensor error that caused misfires, you're rapidly in to the thousands.

Your problem is elsewhere.
Borla

Post by Borla »

Thanks guys, just ruling out things one at a time.