Arduino CAN Colour Dash Display

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
Tim
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Arduino CAN Colour Dash Display

Post by Tim »

I like to dabble a little with hobby electronics, and have long wanted to create something like this. Mainly because my pockets aren't deep enough to stump for a DTA, Haltech, Aim, Motec type display. Twin that with a bit of a can-do attitude, I have a working prototype..

[youtube][/youtube]

Initial tests look good with my cheapy proof of concept display. I have a "super bright" (820 cd/m2, 500:1) 5" display which I'm hoping to start work with in the near future.

I've just ordered a selection of potentiometers, and also an Arduino Uno to attempt to simulate a running vehicle. The Uno will allow me to emulate Cam and Crank sensors, or rather should do.

From there it'll be time to get it installed into my car (including ECU, so that might cause a slight holdup in development).

I've faced one problem so far and that was with a cheap eBay CAN Transceiver, a slightly more expensive one arrived yesterday and it immediately fixed my problems.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Arduino CAN Colour Dash Display

Post by stevieturbo »

Cool stuff
Tim

Post by Tim »

Some pots arrived in the post today, nice and simple to setup and the display reacted as you would expect to the change in values.

I also have an Arduino UNO on my desk that I'm going to try and get some cam and crank signals into the ECU from this software..

https://gitlab.com/libreems-suite/ardu-stim
Tim

Post by Tim »

Decent amount of progress this evening, managed to get a dummy crank signal into the ECU resulting in a working rev counter and shift light.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ardu-stim took a bit of faffing around to get working, but was pretty straight forward really. The front end software that's suggested to use it with is old and very buggy, but I got there in the end.

I think I've now proved this is a goer, and will look to migrate to the brighter, faster display.
Borla

Post by Borla »

Nice work.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks!

A little update following work carried out this weekend.

[youtube][/youtube]

A bit weebly wobbly, my production value has some room for improvement! It's a step into the unknown using YouTube for this stuff, but it's the direction the internet is going.

Need to get the RPM proved as working, then start wiring the ECU into the car!

Cheers
steveslowboy
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by steveslowboy »

Brilliant progress. For info, we've been using a racetechnology Pro4 dash and it takes quite a few seconds after boot-up to show the CAN data - your's appears a bit quicker.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Awesome! Do you plan on sharing the components involved for others to trial?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Tim

Post by Tim »

The components list so far comprises of:

1 x 4D Systems 5" Display (Super Bright) "gen4-uLCD-50D-SB"
1 x Teensy 3.2 Development Board
1 x Waveshare SN65HVD230
1 x Pololu 5V, 1A Step-Down Voltage Regulator

I can share an Arduino sketch to get people started, but wouldn't be keen to head down the path of supporting the use of it, if that makes sense? Not at this early stage anyway. I could quickly find myself spending more time helping others, than implementing new features for me to use. That sounds super selfish, but this early on in the project, I've got to be, sorry.

Assuming it actually works in the harsh environment of a car, then there could be some scope for a small production run, but that's pie in the sky right now, lot's of hurdles to over come before getting there.

It'll be going in my Toyota Starlet GT first, which I am desperate to use in the Toyota Sprint Series next year, it'll be a nice test bed, for sure.
tryolz
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: xap
Firmware Version: 61

Post by tryolz »

Hi Tim yes I would be interested by your sketch.
I have made a dashboard for another ECU with a weighing indicator of my company.
but it is only black and White so it would be nice to have a look at your sketch to see how you drive those inteligent displays.
thanks