E48 help needed

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
tcr797
ECU Model: No ECU

E48 help needed

Post by tcr797 »

[youtube][/youtube] My supercharged water meth injected 205Gti has been stood for a while and has now developed a problem. So far I’ve replaced the ford coil pack - coil feed wiring- ecu 12v and grounds - all engine grounds - relays - crank sensor- starter motor. I’m occasionally getting a pop from the exhaust and almost tries to start but my laptop no longer connects to the ecu to check for faults and now I’m wondering if it’s an ecu fault
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: E48 help needed

Post by katana »

Looks like you aren't getting power to either the ECU or the coils on cranking ie key 3 and only at ket 2 (normal run postn.) hence spark when stopping cranking!
tcr797

Post by tcr797 »

I’ve tried it with a 12v coil feed straight from the battery and made no difference
227bhp Supercharged 205 1.9 gti 8v
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So instead of throwing parts at it....

Have you confirmed 100% there is 12v and ground at the relevant pins on the ecu both on key on and during cranking ?
Likewise injectors, pump etc etc

You say you have no laptop comms....why ? Is this with a laptop/cable that had worked previously ? Or a new computer/setup ?

Does the fuel pump prime on key on ?

Do you have a 5v supply at the relevant ecu sensors that should have a 5v supply if the ecu was alive ? TPS would be an easy test.
Antral

Post by Antral »

Check the 25 pin connector, it may need a clean on both sides if the car has stood idle for a while in damp conditions. Otherwise something has changed like a spike to the ecu has scrambled the map, you need to reload your map if you have saved a copy ( I do hope you have !) I have seen it lots of times.
tcr797

Post by tcr797 »

.. got constant supply to ecu and 5v to TPS ect while cranking .. fuel pump primes as it should and laptop is the old one I’ve had connected previously......what’s next to check ?
227bhp Supercharged 205 1.9 gti 8v
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So the ecu is alive, that's a good sign.

You need to figure out why you have no comms and go from there.

Are you using a USB adaptor or a proper serial connection ? Is the lead definitely in good condition ?
Antral

Post by Antral »

You need to connect to the ECU with Dtawin otherwise you are pi**ing in the wind trying to find the fault, I still think the map is corrupted. I have seen it many times, worked on them for 11 years.

Tony.
Antral

Post by Antral »

Did this problem get fixed if so why do people ask for help then never let us know the problems were solved?
Cpur
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by Cpur »

Hi People,

Trying to connect an E48, The ecu has been purchased used.
This is a very interesting project.
A beetle with a supercharger and fuel injection.

After wiring in, on ignition it primes the fuel pump so , i am assuming that the ecu is not damaged. However i cannot connect to the laptop. I downloaded the latest E48 software, and am using a serial to usb that i use on the S100 with DtaSwin software.
But on this software i cannot make it to connect. Com port is (working fine) says the device manager....

Any help

Warren