Where to buy quality wires

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
aleksanderk
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 6500

Where to buy quality wires

Post by aleksanderk »

I recently had to replace a wire on my S80 ECU. But I could not for the life of me get the pin inserted into the housing. Turn out the insulation on the wire was too thick and did not allow the pin to seat fully.

I did some Googling and found that 18AWG/0,75mm2 is the largest wire to use in the connector housing. Where do you buy good quality wires and are there any specific types of wires that are preferable?

Sellers that ships worldwide are mostly of interest since a lot of the members on the forums are not from USA or the UK.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Where to buy quality wires

Post by stevieturbo »

What do you define as good quality ?

Raychem, Tefzel etc is readily available in the UK....is it always necessary ? No.

I've bought a decent amount of thinwall cable from these guys. No complaints about it or quality etc. But obviously you need to choose whatever wire is correct for your application, along with cable sizing and crimp tools etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/autoelectric ... 7675.l2563
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

stevieturbo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:19 pm What do you define as good quality ?

Raychem, Tefzel etc is readily available in the UK....is it always necessary ? No.

I've bought a decent amount of thinwall cable from these guys. No complaints about it or quality etc. But obviously you need to choose whatever wire is correct for your application, along with cable sizing and crimp tools etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/autoelectric ... 7675.l2563

And you can easily use larger than 0.75mm^2. Although in a lot of cases, is it necessary ?
aleksanderk
Firmware Version: 6500

Post by aleksanderk »

Will 0,75mm2 be enough to power a coil for example? Seems a bit thin to me.

Locally I can only get 0,75mm2 or 1,5mm2 RKUB cable. Nothing in between. 1,5 does not fit in the connector. Maybe it fits if I get one with thinner insulation.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

aleksanderk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:09 am Will 0,75mm2 be enough to power a coil for example? Seems a bit thin to me.

Locally I can only get 0,75mm2 or 1,5mm2 RKUB cable. Nothing in between. 1,5 does not fit in the connector. Maybe it fits if I get one with thinner insulation.
Depends on the coil.

0.75mm^2 is rated at 14A, there are very very few coils that will ever be pulling 14A.

And the place I listed has many sizes available.

But if you're concerned about a cable size for a particular ecu pin.....what is the ecu pin rated at ? Nowhere near what a 1.5mm^2 cable will be rated at I'd guess.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

DTAFast will sell Raychem 44 spec by the meter and ship anywhere in the world. We stock 18 AWG (red/black) and 22 AWG (8 or 9 different colours).
We use 18 AWG for all coil wiring, as the ECU coil drivers are limited to 10 Amps.

The only coil I know of that will draw more than that is an externally amplified coil, and will therefore not be powered by the ECU, so the signal wire can be 22 AWG.
molecular bob
Firmware Version: 31

Post by molecular bob »

On the subject of wire, does anyone know of a jacketed non-screened twisted pair supplier? I struggle with getting twisted pairs into dr25 and if a premade option exists I would like to try it.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Use the next size up DR25? ;)

https://msel.co.nz/shielded-cable/ is white, and shielded, so probably not what you want - but they do https://msel.co.nz/twisted-pair-can/ which fits in 1/8 DR25 easily.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

cable will be readily available locally though.

I buy a lot from around the world....I just cannot see buying rolls of cable from literally half way around the world making sense ( even if most probably originates in China lol )