Speedo through ABS-sensors

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Capos
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 80

Speedo through ABS-sensors

Post by Capos »

Guys,

I'm having trouble getting my speedo to work. Using the laptop to see the undriven and driven wheel speed, but it reads 0km/h all the time.
ABS sensors from Corvette C5 up front and Ford/lincoln sensors in the rear. All reading Ohms between appr. 1050-1150 Ohms when I spin the wheel (personally I think that difference is very small, but since all four has the exact same reading I'm guessing it should be that way).
See attached image.

All four ABS-sensors connected according to wiring diagram
Front pin 2, 20
Rear pin 31, 32
And the other end connected to ECU Sensor Ground.

DTA S80 Pro, 62.02

Speed reading is zero. I assume that I would see the speed reading there, even if I haven't configured the Launch Control?

I have an X-dash too, but that is a later problem once the ECU gets the signal.

Grateful for any help here. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_1201.JPG
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Speedo through ABS-sensors

Post by Rob Stevens »

I think you have to turn launch on? and you must use hall sensors on S series ecu, it looks like yours are not as you have not mentioned a 5v or 12v connection,
Not sure why you are trying to measure ohms
In the diagnostic screen you should be able to confirm the sensors are operational regardless of any setting errors.
As it looks like you have VR sensors not Hall, there are relay type modules that can convert VR into a digital pulse that the S series can use, I think fitted to some Vauxhall cars, you will have to do a search to find the part number.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Siemens PA6.6-GF25 signal conditioners from an Astra
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

they need to be 3 wire hall sensors. Are they ?

I believe traction needs to be turned on for speeds to read ? Strange for it to be that way though, but I'm almost sure it does.

ohm readings are meaningless.
Capos

Post by Capos »

Ohm readings was just to make sure that they actually work.

Nope, mine are 2 wire. All ABS-sensor are two-wires as far as I know (my front sensors are even non-replaceable, integrated inside the wheel bearing)?

A two wire transmission speed sensor would not work either then?
Capos

Post by Capos »

Rob Stevens wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:41 amthere are relay type modules that can convert VR into a digital pulse that the S series can use, I think fitted to some Vauxhall cars

Four of those would be a great solution!
Capos

Post by Capos »

stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Capos wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:43 am Ohm readings was just to make sure that they actually work.

Nope, mine are 2 wire. All ABS-sensor are two-wires as far as I know (my front sensors are even non-replaceable, integrated inside the wheel bearing)?

A two wire transmission speed sensor would not work either then?
There are many types of ABS sensor, they are not all 2 wire.

And No, DTA is intended to receive a square wave signal from a hall sensor. Not any 2 wire.

You will need some sort of adapter or "signal conditioner" as some call them to achieve a suitable signal from a 2 wire type. And even then, you'd need to be sure piggybacking onto the ABS sensor, does not make the ABS system unhappy.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Capos wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:16 am This would fix it, I guess?

https://perek.it/product/variable-reluc ... pter-vri1/

In theory, yes. But as said, whether your ABS remains happy with something else attached to it, the only way to find out is to test. But that is the kind of thing you're after.

Just hope you're 2 wire ABS sensor isn't one of the crazy current sensing type systems as opposed to a basic VR.
Capos

Post by Capos »

Ordered one converter from Perek
https://perek.it/product/variable-reluc ... pter-vri1/
If it works, I'll order another three.

It's installed but car's not test driven yet due to weather.
Just to be sure (since it's not really clear in the manual) I've activated the launch feature too.
First goal is to get the readings on the laptop screen, second to find the right channel in the dash and dispay it on the screen.