Lotus Twincam

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Lotus54
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: Lotus Twincam

Post by Lotus54 »

Thanks- yes, no distributor. I am used to wasted spark setups in motorcycles, and will rely on timing light.

QED has not been responsive (perhaps some email glitch, to be generous). They did send unit pre-loaded with a map, but since most of the other settings were wrong, I am not very optimistic on timing map.
But I do have distributor advance info from factory setup, that should be close to get started with anyway.

Thanks for the help
Mark
Last edited by Lotus54 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTAFast T2i
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

No idea if the T series has a real oscilloscope

But such tools are handy. This is a 36-1 referenced against cyl1 cylinder pressure.

In this case the tooth after the gap ( some ecu's use this, some use the 2nd tooth ) is around 330 deg BTDC. But gives a great visual of what's going on, as well as letting you see exactly where events occur.

This was just on a car I bought with a different ecu. Everything about the install was a little weird, but it's all getting binned. But image is still worthwhile.
Lotus54

Post by Lotus54 »

I have the tooth removed, entered in software and did a measurement to estimate location of missing tooth/vrs TDC.

I ran the Oscilloscope- the ‘picture’ shows the same (very close to my measurement) but the ‘info’ on the bottom saying what the sensor location seems to change every time.

Can I assume the O-Scope portion is correct?

I am waiting on coil wires so cannot test with timing light yet.

Also- I didn’t find it in the manual (yet) but way to have spark at TDC during cranking/running for timing light check?
DTAFast T2i
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

post the scope test.

Just zero, or flatten the timing table at your desired test value and ensure no other corrections are active for a test.
Lotus54

Post by Lotus54 »

O-scope-1.jpeg
when I export it does only a partial capture, or at a table

Edit:
Sorry, quality is horrible. I will see if I can find a way to get a better one.
DTAFast T2i
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you intend to test sensor position on the starter motor, you will need to set 'firing tooth on start up' to '0' this should be close to TDC, its harder to explain than do!
This is because the ignition table proper is not used until the engine is considered to be running.
Your crank trace looks fine, the missing tooth can be seen every 2 compression events.