B18C4 with B16A2 head not starting first start DTA S80 pro

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
HondaNederland
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Honda B series

B18C4 with B16A2 head not starting first start DTA S80 pro

Post by HondaNederland »

Dear all,

I recently installed a DTA S80 pro in my honda civic circuit car. I combined it with an AIM PDM08 to replace the fuse box and be able to do data logging and have a digital dashboard. I've made the wiring loom myself after lots of research and reading.

The engine is equipped with an MSD Ignition and I wired it according to the S80 wiring diagram from DTA with special attention to the Honda B series distributor section. After all was wired I tested injectors and coils via DTA software and they click/spark. When I crank the engine with the coils out of the block they do not give a spark. The diagnostic display gives a lot of crank and cam errors. Rechecked the wiring and crank sensor is connected to pin 12 and cam is connected to pin 22 and both give a beep on the multimeter when meassuring them. Ignition input on distributor is wired to Coil 1 (pin 10) on DTA.

See attached general engine settings. One coil per plug and sequential injection are ticked off.
Also cranked with all different Sensor Position Degrees BTDC.

In the Engine Diagnostic screen it shows a red message with Attempting to Synchronise, this never changes to green. The rejected crank wheel teeth errors and cam sensor errors will add up into 100+ when cranking for 6-10 seconds.

I guess since the sensors do not synchronise well, the injectors won't put fuel in the cylinders and the coils wont spark and that is why the engine isn't starting up.

Does anyone have a clue on what to change/check to make the engine running?

Thanks a lot!

Rick
Attachments
DTA Crank scope 30-3-24.jpg
General engine settings.jpg
Last edited by HondaNederland on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: B18C4 with B16A2 head not starting first start DTA S80 pro

Post by stevieturbo »

crank/cam oscilloscope. Ideally a real scope, but DTA has it's own scope. I just never know how to interpret it, but Alex from DTA does.
HondaNederland

Post by HondaNederland »

Hi Stevieturbo,

I've added the crank oscilloscope to my first post. I've set the teeth to 12 since the distributor sensor is on the camshaft. Today it happened twice that it looked like it would start but in the end, it didn't. It looks like it's synchronizing now in the Engine Diagnostics display.

Could it be that the injectors are not injecting any fuel?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

there is nothing intelligible from that trace from how I understand it.

But it'd be one for Alex/DTA for sure.
HondaNederland

Post by HondaNederland »

Let's wait for Alex then! :)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Send him an email in case he doesn't check here.