S100 Cam tracking/target problems in DTASwin

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
DTAS54
ECU Model: S100 Pro

S100 Cam tracking/target problems in DTASwin

Post by DTAS54 »

I've had several instances running BMW S54 with S100 where the target and cam positions will not track in the Realtime mapping. The cams do show up as tracking in the scope though, but not in any other page of data....

This has occurred in several harnesses, across several PCs, and using a couple different versions of the firmware as well as PC software. It has occurred with serial port and with USB cables as well.

This has been an extremely frustrating problem as one could imagine.

Although I can not explain why, the problem does not occur if I start the engine, let it run for a bit, and only after it's running do I open the DTASwin software. It is odd, but the problem did not go away until I did it that order vs opening the PC software first, and starting the engine with DTASwin on already.

Anyone else have similar experience or insight?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S100 Cam tracking/target problems in DTASwin

Post by stevieturbo »

Is it a software glitch relating to info on screen only, or do you think there is an actual issue that the cams are not doing as intended ?
DTAS54

Post by DTAS54 »

stevieturbo wrote:Is it a software glitch relating to info on screen only, or do you think there is an actual issue that the cams are not doing as intended ?
That is a good question. I guess i could have been more clear.

I meant to imply that the software glitch goes away completely when I start the engine and DTASwin is NOT running.

Each harness is freshly made, but theoretically that is not the only variable that would account for what appears to be lack of "active cam" (VANOS in BMW jargon) functionality.

It is a situation where I certainly have checked each pin on the DTA's connectors, as well as each on the harness plugs, but I still want to actually run the engine live first, with the customer's S100 loaded etc.

Unfortunately sensors, solenoids, pumps, accumulators etc could fail, although none of these should really preclude DTASwin from at least mapping the target of the cams....it is a software glitch worth mentioning to the forum, as well perhaps as bringing to light one possible work-around.

Up to this point I had a tendency to trust the DTASwin for diagnostics, and the first time I saw this issue, I spent more time than I care to admit re-checking harness, swapping sensors, reviewing map settings etc....

To be honest I have not isolated what combination of events leads up to this, it may have to do with uninterrupted presence within DTASWin going from brand new S100, loading a map off drive, then starting the engine right away .....none of my customers has reported same glitch interestingly....

But I have a witness who saw it! (ie, it's real)

So, this is meant as first a public service announcement to alert about the glitch, second, offer a work-around, and lastly, perhaps spur some conversation.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I cant help, but have you alerted Allan to the problem ?
DTAS54

Post by DTAS54 »

Allan is aware.

He seems less concerned about the DTASwin working smoothly than perhaps an issue with the S100 working.

I did not get much feedback or help on this, but I also have to admit that at all times in fact the engine was being run properly, it just wasn't possible to troubleshoot or proove it.

In a perfect world, this would not happen, but in this world, I'll take reliable S100 affordably, even vs other brands with perhaps less glitchy PC interface....as long as I can eventually find work arounds t the glitches.

I did not get the sense Allan knew why this happens....vs he knew, and did not share information. I think he would have gladly helped me if he could. I suspect there are just so many variables to account for in this situation.
Janoka2
Distributor: Ebay.de
Firmware Version: 65

Post by Janoka2 »

Hello!
Im new in this forum, but i use s54b32 with s100. My vanos controll is full and work.
http://www.bimmerteam.hu/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=1890
The vanos unit both side intake and exhaust side is right , work.
First: are you 3 wire bosch original idle control valve and all point wired to ecu?
If this make the closer side in idle valve is same point the vanos solenoid point.
How did solve this problem? When you make the loom meet the problem and solved (or this is your problem key).
My construction one inverter from open side to close side (idle valve), when the open side drive is 30% closed side 70% in cicle.
Work fine, no ballast resistor or any stupid thing.Several forum say install 50ohm resistor, but why, easy and good mode with inverter.
Next time i make a diagramm, simply and work.
Second thing:
When you use the vanos and try controll the cam via dynabox or laptop, need set two value in a Camshaft control setting menu before use .
Cam1 static position :-306 grad (minus!!!!)
Cam2 static position: -249 grad (minus)
This is my value and work good. If no good this value, the cam control work bad, possibble too big or to small value the cam control no effect.
This same thing like no cam control or no log funktion in real time log. No cam control= not see in real time nothing.
My cam static position value is same with your or several number another.
If interest my MAP i send to you (free cost).
Best Regards from Hungary : Janoka2
DTAS54

Post by DTAS54 »

Thank you for responding.

I am not sure I understand completely what you wrote about Idle Control.

The manual does explain how using 3 wire ICV will change how you wire up the VANOS, but this is relatively easy, and not an issue. We are not struggling with the wire harness, the issue seems to be in the software DTASWIN.

I understand (in general) that you are suggesting that proper timing data for the configuration of the engine could be an issues. We are not struggling with controlling the cams, that works very well, the issue is random and unpredictable inability to watch the cams through DTASWIN.

Glad you are up and running!

Next up, S62.... (I hope)
Janoka2
Distributor: Ebay.de
Firmware Version: 65

Post by Janoka2 »

The problem is the harness the idle control in 33 point in connector. 2 side in the idle motor, but the close side same point the vanos solenoid point , the name is aux3. You see in wiring diagramm, this point use the vanos and try use the idle motor.
Of course not connect together leave this point to vanos control solenoid (number 4 in wiring diagram pages 11).
Now I understand your problem, Your vanos work, but not see in real time.
I hope next time Your new engine is s62 and good choice .

Best Regards :Janos