E48 EXP trigger wheel max teeth

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
SLEI
ECU Model: No ECU

E48 EXP trigger wheel max teeth

Post by SLEI »

I have am. ECU I started to plan to use it at Posche V8 and counted the teeth on original trigger wheel It is 100 - x. It is unused on my modell and needs a little bit modification.
I opened the DTA program but it don't take larger teeth number than 80, numbers beside say 12-100??
stevieturbo

Re: E48 EXP trigger wheel max teeth

Post by stevieturbo »

Such a large number of teeth is very unusual. Sure you arent counting the ring gear off the flywheel or something ?

I would say you need to fit a new trigger wheel.
SLEI

Post by SLEI »

Trigger wheel is at flywheel and has 2 bigger theeth, it is used only for some kind of diagnostic at my 928 5.0L S3 USA-modell. Starter ring is at pressuare plate of twin clutch.
It would have been very easy to modify it to 100-2 to 4 trigger as there is allready a VR sensor. I could have made the modificatin by myself: cut one big teeth away and make the other big teeth little bit smaller.

The problem is that program don't take numbers over 80 at general engine settings and trigger wheel spcificatios.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

why not cut every other one off and have a 50-1? still wouldn't be that hard to do.
SLEI

Post by SLEI »

lumley32 wrote:why not cut every other one off and have a 50-1? still wouldn't be that hard to do.
I think the spaces between teeth should be same as the width of the teeth?

I could make that by filling the caps between teeth and cutting more teeth but 25-x seems to bee quit small teeth count.

But still I would like to know if there is a typo on program when it says 12-100 teeth including missing teeth and I can only input max 80?
Roverdose
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

it could be a firmware upgrade?

Drew
SLEI

Post by SLEI »

Roverdose wrote:it could be a firmware upgrade?

Drew
ECU was not connected to PC I was just checking different sample maps.

My ECU has the latest firmware 35x something.
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

looks like a glitch in the software, might be worth asking Alan about. but if he is going to change it you will have to wait till the next lot of upgrades.

i dont think that having different sized teeth/gaps will be that much of a problem, might give a strange waveform but as were only looking at crossing points should be fine.

25 is a good number of points to have, more is better but anything over 15 should be ample, after all the Honda CBR race bikes only use 12! and they produce far more hp per cc than you ever will!
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

There will be no upgrades for the old type ecu's

If you have 100 teeth just cut half of them off, oops should say every other one! then remove one of them to become a 50-1 trigger, just confirm setting of missing tooth with timing light, also older ecu the trigger can only be in a certain range BTDC, so check manual before removing tooth if you can't move sensor.