Opel Commodore A Racecar

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Opel Commodore A Racecar

Post by stevieturbo »

You've went for complete door inner and outer moulds.

How easy or difficult would it be for a complete dummy to do that sort of thing ? Have you used the upper window support from an original door, or did you fabricate that ?

After coming to the realisation my car is a complete tub of lard...I'm thinking about weight saving options. Fibreglass rear doors would reduce a huge amount of weight.
Ive never made anything from it though.
RaceCommo
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by RaceCommo »

It was pretty easy, hardest part was to do new hinges. Making a complete door took about 10-15hours, including classfibre work. Window support, lock and handle is from original door.

If hinges would be another type that would be much easier.

Doing GOOD mould is the key for good part.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Does the mould process damage the original door at all ?

I'd really like to be able to do that myself. Due to time involved, paying someone to do it would be expensive.
Bollah
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Post by Bollah »

Stevie - have a watch of this. Should give you some indication of what it is involved with making your own moulds
RaceCommo

Post by RaceCommo »

stevieturbo wrote:Does the mould process damage the original door at all ?

I'd really like to be able to do that myself. Due to time involved, paying someone to do it would be expensive.

It depends on paint, I had bonnet and trunklid painted with 2-layer car paint, it damaged a little. Seems like little bubbles on lack layer.

Doors were painted with some "construction machine" paint witch is 1 layer paint, it didn't damaged at all.

I recommend not to use actual parts when making mold. That is the easiest way to avoid problems.

I haven't done any classfibre work before this, now I think it's pretty easy to do. It's not hard at all, just do some research before start :)

If you think about saving weight in doors, I can say that classfibre parts for my door weights 3,2kg. 9kg less than stripped original metall door. Complete door should weight about 5-6kg I think.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

My existing doors are bloody heavy, I'd say an easy 20-25kgs +. Ive a spare rear one, so must weigh it.

I was enquiring about some Polycarb for the windows, although the guy did say they wouldnt make a huge saving on their own.
TBH although mine has elec windows all round, the mechanism and motor really isnt that heavy. But the doors themselves are very heavy. But I like the idea of using the original window frame and making the rest from fibreglass.

From a handiness point of view, I guess I could cut the original door leaving the hinge mounts in metal and that section of door and window frame, then mould the fibreglass around it ?
grahamb
Distributor: Plays-Kool
Firmware Version: 71

Post by grahamb »

Crikey this is an inspirational project!
RaceCommo

Post by RaceCommo »

Thanks!

Little bit of international attention :)

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/rac ... commodore/
RaceCommo

Post by RaceCommo »

RaceCommo

Post by RaceCommo »

First time idling more that 5 sec.
[youtube][/youtube]

First meters