Type of pot for general analogue input use

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
b930
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 65

Type of pot for general analogue input use

Post by b930 »

Was wanting to set up an analogue / pot to sweep rich/lean to help with gross tuning /cold stating experimentation etc. Can I use say a 50k linear pot and any idea what wattage I should get.

I just plan on taking a regulated 5v in one end, sensor ground the other and analogue input to the wiper, does this sound ok?

Cheers.
S80, Porsche 1988 930 flat six aircooled, GT35 w/ twin scroll 1.03A/R dual gated equal length headers, SC cams, Turbokraft intercooler, 72# injectors.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Type of pot for general analogue input use

Post by stevieturbo »

So you need a dyno box ?

http://www.quantums.info/dtalead.htm
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

just about any pot would do 500ohms upwards, 0.05w up would be fine. but as Steve says may as well get/make dyno box.
b930

Post by b930 »

Thanks. A question on the dyno box if I may. If you have the dyno box running and dial in say 10% more fuel, does the ecu apply this cross the board like a global trim, but only locks it in the active cell if you press 'enter'. Trying to determine if I could use the dyno box for applying major fuel trim globally to diagnose running issues / cold starting etc. This is essentially what I was trying to achieve with the pot. My old SDS ecu had a fuel trim pot and it proved quite valuable in quickly diagnosing running issues.
Cheers.
S80, Porsche 1988 930 flat six aircooled, GT35 w/ twin scroll 1.03A/R dual gated equal length headers, SC cams, Turbokraft intercooler, 72# injectors.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Correct. The dyno box makes global changes to live running, but makes no actual changes to the map.

When you hit store/enter, that change is recorded on whatever cell you are currently in. But it is only recorded, it is still not actually applied to the map.. It is only applied to the man when you hit F6 or CTRL+U

This really is a dyno specific way of tuning. It can be used on the road, but it certainly isnt the nicest way of doing things.
There is huge room for improvement in live tuning with the DTA software.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I'd jam a 10K pot in an Analogue input and you can dial in the adjustment as required in the setup for that channel, so close to centre can have finer adjustment than if it's cranked around.

ie; (percent)
+1
+2
+4
+10

Something like the 9 position rotary switches from Motec are awesome in this application, basically a pot that is 'clicky'.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
b930

Post by b930 »

Excellent, sounds like a dyno box will serve my needs and a possible a second option of an indented pot as an alternative.
Thanks.
b930

Post by b930 »

I have it all running with the dyno box. Only problem with the dyno box it that it only works with a laptop plugged in. A trim pot into an analogue would not need a lappy, but otherwise its pretty cool.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Ahh good point, that is very true.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yea, dyno box is intended for live dyno tuning with computer attached for quick tuning of each cell in steady state tuning