anyone using the dta stc control box?

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
adzer
ECU Model: S80 Pro

anyone using the dta stc control box?

Post by adzer »

im near pulling my hair out with my car now and running out of motovation.

i have a 2004 seat leon cupra r 1.8t

my problem is i cant get my throttle body to opertate with the pedal.

i have all my +5v and sensor grounds wired up correctly according to my autodata wiring diagram for my car, only wires i aint sure about is the pedal pot & throttle pot wires.

when im in the stc diagnostics i had various errors pedal sensor error, buttery fly error, pedal/butterfly mismatch & can error

i managed to get all errors to clear apart from the can error but as soon as i press the accelerator the pedal/butteryfly mismatch error returns.

during all this the throttle body doesnt even move?

ive also noticed when i turn the ignition on the tb closes itself, so i swapped the motor 1 and motor 2 wires around and when i turn ignition on the tb opens fully and stays their.

any help would be greatful as there seems to be no info of these stc controllers out there and dta themselves was not very helpful either when i called them
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: anyone using the dta stc control box?

Post by stevieturbo »

Really dont think there are too many out there. There was one user a while back ( or maybe that was you ? ) I'd heard of.

DBW's can be awkward on any ecu to get up and running.

Most will require two pedal inputs for safety reasons. You'll need to calibrate these.
Some ecu's will also then require you to calibrate the blade itself for open and closed positions. Again, there are usually two tracks. You may need to open the blade manually to do this

Looking at the software, looks like you will need to do this in General Settings, entering the voltages as required.

Some ecu's wont allow the blade to open more than say 25% with the engine off. So unless there is some sort of test mode, actually testing the operation of the complete setup with the engine off may be difficult.

Bottom line....you really need some sort of instructions. Isnt there anything with the software ?
adzer

Post by adzer »

nope no instructions out there at all, all i got was wiring diagram.

im unsure if the fact it says can error may be my issue?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

mmm, I take it the STC box communicates with the DTA ecu via CAN then ? Is CAN output enabled on your DTA ? There is a check box for it

Can you post the wiring diagram ?
adzer

Post by adzer »

the can high & can low connect from the dta to the stc so all i done was tap into these wires that feed into the ecu and run them into the stc controller.

there is then 6 wires from the tb to stc and 6 wires from pedal to stc

1 wire from the pedal and 1 wire from the tb also connects to the ecu into ana1 and tps input, again i just tapped into these wires and run to the pin in the ecu

wiring diagram can be found on dta's website in the downloads section
adzer

Post by adzer »

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Downloads_Index.htm

stc wiring is the wiring diagram bud
Last edited by adzer on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
shambly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by shambly »

Are you using CAN for anything else related to the DTA ecu and the STC?

I don't know STC but I do use the DTA CAN.

CAN is terminated with 120 ohm resistors at each end of the bus. From memory dta include one termination within the ecu. May do the same with the STC

Therefore you want a direct link between just the two devices, not spliced into the car.

You'll need to enable STC in the ecu software so that the ecu knows it needs to exchange can messages with the STC; No can bus no throttle control.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

I am sure if you contacted DTA they would fill you in on what needs to be done.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

It sounds to me like there is a wiring issue and that you are relying on a drawing of your car to connect both the sensors (peddle) and the throttle.
I think go back to basics and wire a fresh set of wires between all the components if you can't verify by buzzing the loom out.
adzer

Post by adzer »

ok so ive spent another night on it, on the stc wiring diagram it gives you various pin outs for various cars......the one listed for 1.8t's is wrong. but i have noticed that on their site the wiring diagrams are different from what the sent with the stc unit.

so basically ive now wired it up the correct way but still have a problem.

i still have a can error, and when i depress the throttle pedal i keep getting butterfly/pedal mismatch but still no movement at the tb, as soon as i turn ignition on the tb closes itself fully.

but after some long hard thinking i think i know the problem........the stc is just like the ecu, you need to load up a setting/map

well im using the 1.8t map/settings as thats what my car is but the pin outs for that setting is different to what my car actually is..........so im guessing this is where my problem is?

hope this makes sense, finding it hard to put it into words