ECU upgrade

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
paulw

ECU upgrade

Post by paulw »

having a fantastic race season so far this year and really good to back out after a year on the side lines watching due to employment issues :D

I'm currently running an S40 but would really like to be able to do some data logging. I'm doing a shared drive with my mate as well and it would be good to see each others logs.

I don't really think i can afford a stand alone datalogger but the Xoombox seams a nice bit of kit but 600 quid is just a bit out of reach. I was thinking of the S60 and live with a re-wire over winter. I'm interested in the traction control as well is anyone running this to some success?

I suppose there are lots of pro's and cons and am just interested in anyone's thoughts before i spend some cash.

I will need a new ECU as its being shared by the wifes Suzuki engined mini at the moment and this was only supposed to be temporary.

PS: her mini has been running great since we got all the problems ironed out we are really enjoying it on the road :)

Paul
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: ECU upgrade

Post by stevieturbo »

For full and proper traction control, you'll need the S80 I think ?

Not sure just how well the S60's version works ?

Looks like the S-series all use the same pair of connectors. S80/60 use the pins in the same locations.

For some strange reason, the S40 seems to have the pins in different locations...bit of a daft move there. Having the pin arrangement the same across the entire range would make it far easier for people to upgrade !!

So for the new ecu, for a quick install, it would just be a case of repositioning some pins.
paulw

Post by paulw »

If you have a look in the comparison charts on the ECU's http://www.dtafast.co.uk/compare_ECUs.htm it would appear traction control is a standard feature after the S40. Not sure how well it works either though, is anyone using all of this feature?

Already spotted that the pin outs on the S40 don't match any if you upgrade. The wiring is a bit messy and there is loads of stuff i don't use anymore in there. Would be a good time to start again witha nice neat loom.

Paul
paulw

Post by paulw »

well a basic search does actually show that traction control on the S60 is possible but the S80 and above have full 4 wheel traction available.............which i think is shite as no reference is made to this in the comparison charts :shock:

If i had to go to an S80 then i might wait and save up a bit more for the Xoombox http://xoomspeed.com/shop/product_info. ... s_id=28and get full traction control and GPS datalogging and stick with an S40

Paul
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Not quite sure what to make of that

Sounds like a lot of wiring would be involved to actually make it a functional datalogger. As you'd need to wire it up to all the sensors you wanted to log
The GPS section says it can log...but you need a suitable GPS receiver with an appropriate output. But yes GPS logging would be an excellent addition for track use.

Traction. Like the racelogic it cuts injectors. Pretty sure racelogic cuts injectors per cylinder though.
Not sure how this unit would achieve it though ? Doesnt really state how many in/outs it has as far as injectors go. Is it ok with batch fire, or would it need sequential injection
Power is cut in 5 stages and the injector sequencing is carefully synchronised to the ecu's activity to ensure that your engine never experiences accidental lean burn conditions.

Hard to say which would be the better option really.