Ecu wiring question

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
7-even
ECU Model: No ECU
Distributor: bought used
Firmware Version: 29

Ecu wiring question

Post by 7-even »

Hi everybody. I have a Suzuki Reno (Chevy Lacetti) it basically has an obd2 2.0 iron ecotec in it. I bought a used individual throttle body setup and it came with a dtafast e48exp standalone. I live in NYC USA and need the car to pass inspection so going full standalone isn't really an option because the ecu will show that some sensors aren't "ready". Does anyone know if there is a way to wire the e48exp as a piggyback? Or have any other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Re: Ecu wiring question

Post by Roverdose »

why do they need to hook up to the obd socket?

Drew
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Of course you can wire the EXP as a piggyback.

Although when you dont have the injectors or coils plugged into the factory ecu, it may throw fault codes.

So what level of OBD check do they actually do ? Or what are the requirements of this inspection ?
7-even

Post by 7-even »

That's the problem. The coils and injectors are going to thow a fault code and he car will fail. I'm not sure if there's a way to get around that.
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

Depends on how much the car(drive train) needs the engine ECU, how deep it's all connected together. Otherwise, I would make an wire loom adaptor, and switch ECU's when needed, which I did when I had the P8.

Although, I wouldn't do it(start) with that legacy E48, but it's possible...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Agree with Marco, make it so you can easily swap between the two ecu's then.

But an E48 is pretty basic, wouldnt be my first choice
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Haltech makes a dummy load box for ignition and injectors, specifically made for piggy-back situations with a stand-alone.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Thanks so much for the help guys. That haltech unit actually looks pretty good. My tuners going to look into it and see what he thinks. I'm trying to stick with the e48 because of money being short. The price on the haltech makes it more interesting haha. I'll let you know what I come up with.