Toyota 1ZZ turbo map

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
Nickryles
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Toyota 1ZZ turbo map

Post by Nickryles »

Hi,
please if anyone can have a look and see any obvious changes/ improvements they would recommend.

keep in mind I'm not an expert with the software and I did not make the map.
The turbo is a Turbonetics GT-K 450
1.8L with forged pistons and rods
630cc injectors
255 fuel pump
p&p head with larger valves
straight through exahust
Tial Mvr44 wastegate

I had trouble using the ECU to control boost with a generic solenoid so have now switched my boost control to a Blitz twin solenoid unit currently running 14.7 psi

Also how do I edit the 'File Comment' box ?
Attachments
Mr2 1ZZ mk3.map
Toyota 1ZZ turbo
(44.74 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Toyota 1ZZ turbo map

Post by stevieturbo »

Have you actually been running this engine on this map ?

I assume it has never been tuned properly by a competent person ?

Personally, I can see no valid reason to use TPS as main load with boost. And in your case, given how the ecu is set up, you could only ever run a single boost setting, as there is no provision at all for adjusting timing based on boost. And total timing does seem very low. Although that would depend on compression ration and fuel used.

Other than that comment, a map file alone doesnt give enough information as to how it might be running.

A datalog would be far more useful.

And you edit the file comments box when you are saving the map file.
Nickryles

Post by Nickryles »

Hi Stevie
I run this map on the car yes and it actually drives very well.
The last DTA mapper didn't have much success and I just wanted the car back from him. So I would have to agree with your comment.
So a Turbo expert hasn't had a chance to map the engine yet.
I have an 8.5:1 compression ratio and use super unleaded
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

You do not need a turbo expert, just a competent tuner.

And based on that map, whoever done that could not seriously be called a DTA mapper, or indeed a mapper at all.
DTA ecu's are very easy to understand, and from what I see, whoever has tried to tune it is clueless.

The only caveat as to what I am saying above, is if he only spent maybe 20 seconds on it. Then maybe it's understandable.
I hope you didnt pay them a lot of money ?

I would strongly advise you to take it to someone competent. You will see huge gains everywhere when it is tuned properly, and you will know it is safe.

I would not be using the car hard for any length of time with that map.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

That map isn't that bad, the Lambda is turned on, the cam control appears to have been mapped, an idle valve appears to have been fitted and working? Ok TPS is being used as load with boost compensations, one mans meat another's poison? I note that there is no boost/ignition compensation.

But I also find the 9 deg timing a little odd, no idea what the boost is but the cut off is set at 1.6 bar, The turbo control is off, although the turbo PWM table is filled in, bit odd, I assume it can't be working.
Also there is no air temp / ignition correction to help protect a turbo motor, but then again 9deg ain't going to do a lot of harm

And in general engine settings we have a max rpm of 7200, I thought these engines only just got going at this rpm.

As steve says there may well be loads to come if mapped by someone better? But its not that bad, there has been worst posted.

Where in the world are you to recommend a dyno?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The ignition map alone is terrible as a stand alone map, and the fact there are no pressure compensations makes it horrific.
IMO it would be a very lethargic engine to drive with such low timing everywhere

The timing wont be doing EGT's any favours though. It's very low everywhere. I'd usually only be around single figures if CR is relatively high, or when pushing beyond 30psi boost.
But it shouldnt pose any danger on short blasts.

As for fuelling, with a +40% and -25% trim, and knowing how slow DTA's closed loop is to work...that is not a good recipe. Add to that only 1 sample per second ?

And whilst you say some other areas appear to have been mapped. I'd have to seriously question how trustworthy or safe they would be when the timing is so bad.

CAM settings are as per base map supplied with DTA. A lot of stuff is just as per base DTA map.
So I really dont think this person has spent any proper tuning time at all.
Nickryles

Post by Nickryles »

It's the 2ZZ engine that revs higher than the 1ZZ.
Does changing the injector size in general engine settings have an effect on all fueling figures already mapped? Do you recommend anyone over here Stevie as going to Henry Roy isn't practical for me. Was thinking of trying Gault in Ballymoney.
Just back from crail, engine ran fine all weekend but now won't rev out past 3k for some reason. I did put some octane booster in but no more than the recommended dose.
Have then drove until only a 1/4 tank left and filled up with super to try and dilute it. Would this be causing the problem?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

The injector size in CC in general engine settings is of only interest to the fuel consumption data, it has no effect on the engine, doesn't even have to be filled out.
I can't think how octane booster has harmed anything unless it was water or something.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Nickryles wrote:It's the 2ZZ engine that revs higher than the 1ZZ.
Does changing the injector size in general engine settings have an effect on all fueling figures already mapped? Do you recommend anyone over here Stevie as going to Henry Roy isn't practical for me. Was thinking of trying Gault in Ballymoney.
Just back from crail, engine ran fine all weekend but now won't rev out past 3k for some reason. I did put some octane booster in but no more than the recommended dose.
Have then drove until only a 1/4 tank left and filled up with super to try and dilute it. Would this be causing the problem?
You raced it on that map ?? jeeeezzz
Nickryles

Post by Nickryles »

I drove from Antrim to Crail in the car and did 6 runs.
I wasn't in high revs for any prolonged period. The engine does rev smooth and then picks up at 4k until the rev limit but like you said I maybe don't know any different and will see a night and day difference if mapped better and at 24psi rather than 14psi