COP's wired for wasted spark

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

COP's wired for wasted spark

Post by katana »

I have a Zetec 2.0 and a S60pro which is currently wired up for a std Ford coil pack to run wasted spark which i'll probably use for initial start and tuning but have some new Duratec COPs which eventually I wanted to use as fully sequential ignition with the fueling.

1st question - can you use two pairs of COP's wired together using single ignition outputs in a wasted configuration.
2nd Q - if so, how wired? - series or parallel.
3rd Q - If all 4 wired individually to 4 outputs, they can be run wasted or sequential depending on settings?

Back to Q2 - if series wired, the circuit resistance would double and voltage halve at each coil? and if parallel, the voltage would remain 12v but resistance would halve so drawing greater amps? Can the S60 Ign. amps handle that?

I only have rudimentary ohm's law knowledge so 'hands up' if i'm writing jibberish! If I need to add in additional pins and wires i'd rather do it now whilst its still out of the car! ;)
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: COP's wired for wasted spark

Post by Rob Stevens »

A1 - Yes you can, I have used them in series and they work just fine. However don't as you have S60 with 4 outputs any way.
A2 - I've uses series but see A1
A3 - to run as wasted spark with 4 coils just tick 'twin spark' in general engine settings
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As Rob says, if the coil has 4 trigger inputs, just wire them as you would sequential 1-4 and select twin spark

If it doesnt have 4 trigger inputs then it's all wasted spark anyway via the 2 ecu outputs
ibizacupra
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by ibizacupra »

wire them singly you have s60