Wheel speed log stops after launch

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
TimCuppens
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Wheel speed log stops after launch

Post by TimCuppens »

log
log
Why is there only logging available from the Undriven en Driven wheel during the launch? (I use launch by elapsed time)

I have a wheel speed sensor on left undriven wheel to pin 2 (Hall Effect
Undriven Wheel Speed) and a shaft sensor (located in the diff) to pin 14 (Shift Cut or E85 Sensor or Air Con Signal or Shaft Sensor)

The S80 sees the signals but only logs during launch by elapsed time.
I also enabled the traction control (read somewhere this could solve this) but I don't want it to operate so I set activation kph to 200. No improvement.

Thanks in advance!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Wheel speed log stops after launch

Post by stevieturbo »

When launch is active, driven wheel speed will be a calculated value based on engine rpm...strange I know.
Maybe this doesnt apply for launch by rpm ? I never tried that method because it couldnt be automated to activate as soon as the vehicle moves.

Undriven wheel speed should record as normal and it did do on mine.

Are you saying for driven wheels you do or do not have sensors for both of these ?

Shaft sensor is not the same thing.

If you are not using launch, then all wheels should record as normal.
TimCuppens

Post by TimCuppens »

I wonder why my undriven wheelspeed is only recorded during launch and not all the time like yours...

I don't have any driven wheel sensors. The E36 diff has a 9 tooth wheel inside the diff which is used by the original instrument cluster to measure speed. So you measure the speed after the diff ratio so actually this should be the speed of the driven wheels (with the error of the LSD slip).

I was aiming to use this as an input. Maybe best to test the VR to Hall convertor first... Works with the wheel VR sensor but maybe not with the diff VR sensor which is quite different...
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So normal driving and all other times, you are getting an undriven wheel speed signal ?

I'm near sure I remember having to swap L/R undriven wheels on mine for some reason....but it could well have been my wiring !
I only ever used a single undriven input from my left wheel...but I've the strangest feeling I had to connect it to the right input to work.

Not sure where you'd connect that single driven input too for a correct reading ?

I'd need to hunt through some logs, but I think when launch was active, one rear wheel speed displayed as normal ( but this may have been that calcualted value as opposed to actual wheel speed ), the other read zero whilst launch was active

Will try and find a log
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Found an old log.

Undriven works all the time.

It looks like during launch control left driven reads speed as a calculated value based on engine rpm, and of course whatever values you have filled in relating to wheel speeds in the launch setup.

Right driven reads zero during launch

Once launch is off, driven wheels read as expected.

Obviously your setup is different with a diff speed sensor as opposed to each driven wheel.
TimCuppens

Post by TimCuppens »

Nope, I never get the undriven left wheel...only during launch.

I will try to swap to the right undriven just for fun.

Anyway in the "engine diagnostics" window I see the Left UD counting as I turn the wheel so connection is OK.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Weird.

upload your map.