DTASwin rewrite

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: DTASwin rewrite

Post by Jon K »

Stevie I can't reply in full right now but there's a distinct difference in what we're talking about - doing a pull and analyzing is one thing, but driving 150 miles and applying real world adjustments to a long-term distribution of information is key. Closed loop works fine on my DTA as well, but what happens to the corrections table if I was being a little crazy and doing pulls with higher boost and started to experience spark blow-out? Every time unburnt fuel flies past the WBO2 it reads 100% lean - does the ECU see that and add more fuel? I dunno! I don't want ANY closed loop action happening in boost/high load, or, if I do, I want a min/max adjustment of maybe +- 2%

Again, not talking about logging pulls. That's easy. I am talking about taking 60+ mins of logs (that MS would log direct to the laptop) and analyzing it, manipulating based on targets, acknowledging different conditions/enrichments, and churning out a new fuel map. It was a really, really beautiful thing.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Closed loop is active all the time although I'd assume DTA does turn it off briefly for transients.

As for spark blowout...every ecu will be the same in that respect, it doesnt know if you're having issues like that ( unless it also offers misfire detection etc etc and will shut offending cylinders down...but then that would also skew wideband readings further )

And the 60 min drive...again as Robert said, the fuel correction map is...or is supposed to be doing exactly that, or the Lambda History map when using SWin. It's averaging over the entire drive

IMO a 2% correction may as well be nothing, get it working right and even +/- 10% is totally safe, and in the event of other problems, the corrections could save an engine.

And whilst it was news to me too...apparently unburnt fuel hitting the sensor actually still causes the sensor to read rich ! So unburnt fuel and oxygen...the reading wont actually stray as much as you think. Which does further add to confusion

http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/LSU4.htm

But again, if you're experiencing problems like that, you know it's happening and know it needs fixed, so the wideband data will be incorrect regardless of what the software is doing whether open or closed loop. Fix the problem and all will be well.
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:Closed loop is active all the time although I'd assume DTA does turn it off briefly for transients.

As for spark blowout...every ecu will be the same in that respect, it doesnt know if you're having issues like that ( unless it also offers misfire detection etc etc and will shut offending cylinders down...but then that would also skew wideband readings further )

And the 60 min drive...again as Robert said, the fuel correction map is...or is supposed to be doing exactly that, or the Lambda History map when using SWin. It's averaging over the entire drive

IMO a 2% correction may as well be nothing, get it working right and even +/- 10% is totally safe, and in the event of other problems, the corrections could save an engine.

And whilst it was news to me too...apparently unburnt fuel hitting the sensor actually still causes the sensor to read rich ! So unburnt fuel and oxygen...the reading wont actually stray as much as you think. Which does further add to confusion

http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/LSU4.htm

But again, if you're experiencing problems like that, you know it's happening and know it needs fixed, so the wideband data will be incorrect regardless of what the software is doing whether open or closed loop. Fix the problem and all will be well.
The example of a misfire was just facetious - if the unburn fuel flies by the sensor it never meters it at all. The point was simply, historically, I turn off O2 correction in other ECUs when in significant boost areas - I really really don't want 38 psi of boost hiccuping a couple times and the ECU dumping fuel in. I'd rather it just not apply any correction from what I have.

My point was just that with MS MLV analyzer I could thoughtlessly drive to work and back for a week and have a map that would run just as efficient with O2 correction on as O2 correction off. DTA has never been able to get me there. Sure, I can turn on correction and it targets my AFR fine, and it runs clean like that, but without a loading dyno adjusting its a pain, and the functionality of the MS/VEMs is not there to do it casually offline with confidence.
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

Alex DTA wrote:Hi all

I'm starting to rewrite DTASwin from the ground up. I have a whole load of improvements to make, but would like to know what you guys think can be improved.

Please note, this is not an ECU features thread, this is only the software.

I don't promise to include all of them, or even any of them, but please feel free to include even a small niggle.

The main change I'm making is to remove the dependence on a particular USB driver. Hopefully this will mean other makes of cable can reliably be used, but Prolific will still be the main one, as it's widely recognised as the best.

There will also be UI updates to move logic off UI threads, and much more in the background that will never be seen.

I'll be changing the gauges on the Real Time Display. I'm hoping to make them user definable, or at least give the option to select a few values from the data stream.

I'd also like to improve the Real Time Mapping screen to have a target showing where the current values are.

That's just a few of the things I'm thinking of.

Over to you.
First of, Merry Christmas to you all.

I would suggest to have the possibility to compare two maps (the actual map with a saved one), and show both map values in the respective cells(the second map values within braces or something similar).

Also highlight the cells which are different(change color?), and have the option to show the actual map values, the actual difference or the difference in percentage between the two maps.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

I'm not a 'power user' as such, but little things that make viewing clearer would assist such as graphic map colouring makes errant numbers or trends easy to spot? And graph display rotation is too limited - full 360 rotation would be good with selectable 20 - 50 degree inclination.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

As the solus pro thread got a little into scopes...

One feature that would be software orientated ( I think ) and quite handy.

The ability to offer the user a relative compression test. Either via crank speed, battery voltage, whatever.
Search youtube for "relative compression test" and you can see there are various options available.
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Isn't the crank oscilloscope tool decent for that already?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Jon K wrote:Isn't the crank oscilloscope tool decent for that already?

In a way it probably does but I'm sure it could be offered more resolution with a more dedicated display for each cylinder ( and identify the cylinders if there is a cam sensor fitted ).
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

After some recent pm queries...and not sure if it's software or firmware.

But the removal of the low voltage threshold for TPS settings which may prevent the user from running their OEM TPS as it's closed position does not go low enough.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Lot's of useful thoughts and discussions, keep them coming.
stevieturbo wrote:But the removal of the low voltage threshold for TPS settings which may prevent the user from running their OEM TPS as it's closed position does not go low enough.
That's a bit of both. However, there has to be a threshold where we decided the TPS is faulty/wired incorrectly/failed.
MarcoV6T wrote:I would suggest to have the possibility to compare two maps (the actual map with a saved one), and show both map values in the respective cells(the second map values within braces or something similar).

Also highlight the cells which are different(change color?), and have the option to show the actual map values, the actual difference or the difference in percentage between the two maps.
That's a great idea. It will certainly be added at some point.
Jon K wrote:My point was just that with MS MLV analyzer I could thoughtlessly drive to work and back for a week and have a map that would run just as efficient with O2 correction on as O2 correction off. DTA has never been able to get me there. Sure, I can turn on correction and it targets my AFR fine, and it runs clean like that, but without a loading dyno adjusting its a pain, and the functionality of the MS/VEMs is not there to do it casually offline with confidence.
I've been meaning to reply to this for a while.
Display and Test Functions -> Lambda History. I've used this on mine, it works really well.
The reason it records to the PC is so it's also available to S40 users.