Map Lock / PIN Lock

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
spyrstas

Re: Map Lock / PIN Lock

Post by spyrstas »

mefmotorsport, please erase or edit your message quoting my message in which the code is. DTA, you should inform your dealers(especially overseas) that they should not lock their customers ecu's unless it's in the case that Martin described above.
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

i don't get the locking thing at all. if i was an end user out of pocket 750euros you can bet your wobbly bits i'd be starting at 0000 and working up... an old build of windows that had a macro recorder if i was way desperate. i presume it doesn't/can't lock you out after a certain number of goes...
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
spyrstas

Post by spyrstas »

Actually in the manual it does say you only have a limited amount of wrong pin codes that you can enter...
86sixsix
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: http://www.dtafast.co.uk
Firmware Version: 78.01

Post by 86sixsix »

i'll have to read that one day :D no way - does it stop the ecu from working or can you just not get in at all after that (i guess you can't anyway without the number)?
Renault 1.6 K7M, '92 Clio 16v shell, Rotrex C30-74, S40, Faceache, Sh***er, YouTube Blue Shed Channel
phazer

Post by phazer »

Funnily enough, I started out analysing the E48 I have with a view to writing some logging and dash software to run on a small TFT mounted in the car. I contacted Allan to ask about communicating with the ECU and quite understandably he said he couldn't give me the info as they had enough trouble with people copying the ECUs - that was a long time ago too. Still, nothing like a challenge.

So, like all good tinkerers I started to do it myself and as part of that I sorted the pin locking problem. I decided to release it as I have the same opinion as most on here that there is no place paying a tuner a large amount of money and then finding I don't have access to my own map.
I can understand the tuners selling a pre-configured ECU for a particular engine - they only wish to protect their investment but I still think this is dodgy ground. When you buy the ECU you are buying the ECU and the map, you are not in my opinion buying a license to use the map loaded on the ECU.

If anyone is in need of pin recovery, let me know and I'll send it over, it only works on the P8 Pro and E48 at the moment. If anyone would like to lend an S series I'll update it lol
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if you decide you don't like him, you're a mile away from him with his shoes".

Nova SRi 1.6 16v TBs / DTA E48 1/4@14.8s
Metallix

Post by Metallix »

phazer or anyone who has phazers pin recovery tool,

Please can you send the tool to "email addy".

My mate & his son bought a DTA E48 & loom last year with the plan to acquire everything needed to move away from years of using twin carbs. With the engine now built & assembled with Jenveys, DTA & loom, I connected up to this ECU last night only to find that the original mapper has locked the ECU with a pin.

Help here is muchos appreciated
Thanks
Last edited by Metallix on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
phazer

Post by phazer »

You have mail 8-)
That way, if you decide you don't like him, you're a mile away from him with his shoes".

Metallix

Post by Metallix »

I was :D when reading that your sent a mail, but checking the inbox was :(

Maybe gmail didn't like the attachment..?

Have created new email especially as I know this will receive attachments ok.

Please attempt to re-send,

Thanks v v much, 8-)
-B
Last edited by Metallix on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
phazer

Post by phazer »

Metallix wrote:I was :D when reading that your sent a mail, but checking the inbox was :(

Maybe gmail didn't like the attachment..?

Have created ABF16V@yahoo.co.uk especially as I know this will receive attachments ok.

Please attempt to re-send,

Thanks v v much, 8-)
-B

Yeah got a bounce back from Gmail which I've only just seen. Just sent the mail to the yahoo address.

Metallix

Post by Metallix »

Received OK @ 2nd email.

Thanks Phil, will put it to good use in a few days time