Map Lock / PIN Lock

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Bollah
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Map Lock / PIN Lock

Post by Bollah »

Gents

I have a bit of a problem here and would like some help.

My current mapper has put a PIN lock on the map on my S60, stopping me from obviously viewing the data. I wouldn't be playing around with this as I don't have that much of a clue and would probably knacker something in the process, but would like it unlocked so I can take it to someone else a bit more local to finish a couple of things off, rather than driving a 380 miles round trip for something that can be sorted in a couple of hours more locally.

I have asked him for the code but he won't give it to me which is slightly annoying considering I have spent a fair sum of money with him.

I also have spoken to DTA and said that they don't want to get involved, but I'm sure I saw on the old forum (RIP), that they could sort this with some sort of master PIN number.

Any suggestions or am I stuck here? :|

Thanks

Bollah
MarcoV6T
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Re: Map Lock / PIN Lock

Post by MarcoV6T »

It’s not very complicated to unlock, but I can’t do it from here :cry:

Or, you can buy my display :) , it will display the lock code, and can reset it if needed.

There’s another guy that has a small VB program to unlock it, maybe he’ll chime in later.
Bollah

Post by Bollah »

Marco, thanks for the reassurance that it can be done easily and nice plug for buying something off you :D

I have tried with a com port sniffer to see if something could be done, but it just seems to throw random characters out :(

If you do have anything that help advise on what needs doing, then drop me a PM if you want to keep it off the forum, otherwise, hopefully I'll wait for the other guy to give his VB script (presumably this is from Phazer?)

Cheers

Bollah
x30xe

Post by x30xe »

I believe the map locking is written into map file, so location of PIN could be simply sniffed by binary comparison of two files. Correct if I'm wrong. I'm too lazy to prove my theory :)
Bollah

Post by Bollah »

x30xe wrote:I believe the map locking is written into map file, so location of PIN could be simply sniffed by binary comparison of two files. Correct if I'm wrong. I'm too lazy to prove my theory :)
It probably is, but I don't have my map, as it's on the ECU and if you don't enter the correct PIN number, you can't download it from the ECU, so a bit of a catch 22 really :lol:
x30xe

Post by x30xe »

I've never used PIN codes so I must ask... Is it really so that you can't even connect to ecu if map is pin-locked ? That would make whole ECU useless if you wan't to install it to another engine/car.
peter575
Firmware Version: 60

Post by peter575 »

Strange guy your mapper...... You asked to map, and he will get paid for it, not to lock your ECU.
You already paid I guess?
S60 Pro user
Bollah

Post by Bollah »

x30xe wrote:I've never used PIN codes so I must ask... Is it really so that you can't even connect to ecu if map is pin-locked ? That would make whole ECU useless if you wan't to install it to another engine/car.
You can connect to the ECU and you can see the real time stuff happening, but you can't change any values and you don't have the option to save the map to your laptop.
peter575 wrote:Strange guy your mapper...... You asked to map, and he will get paid for it, not to lock your ECU.
You already paid I guess?
Yep, already paid him a large lump of money. Mapping, ECU, Wiring loom, fault finding
phazer

Post by phazer »

*cough* Someone mention me? :)

I did write a pin viewing prog years ago for the E48 and P8Pro. No idea if it works on the S series as I don't have one, you're welcome to try. Let me know your email address and I'll whizz it over.
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if you decide you don't like him, you're a mile away from him with his shoes".

Nova SRi 1.6 16v TBs / DTA E48 1/4@14.8s
mikethefox

Post by mikethefox »

phazer wrote:*cough* Someone mention me? :)

I did write a pin viewing prog years ago for the E48 and P8Pro. No idea if it works on the S series as I don't have one, you're welcome to try. Let me know your email address and I'll whizz it over.

Hi, i am having the same problem with my E48, can you whizz the program over to me please ?. My email adress is mikedrag@c2i.net Thanks