Ecu P8pro firing issue

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
billystore
ECU Model: P8 Pro
Distributor: dta fast

Ecu P8pro firing issue

Post by billystore »

Hi guys! i am in middle of troubleshooting.
i have an P8pro system mounted on a volvo 5cyl engine. i have looked everywere. sent in the box to DTA so i know its working. looked everywere in the harness for this problem but cant find any fault.
when i crank the engine, the 5:th cyl spark plug is burning with a constant flame. i have separate ignition coils 2 wired, not 3. i have tested disconnected all other sensors. but its still with a burning flame. i start to think that something is wrong with the program in the ecu but that seems like a long shot, due this setup have worked fine until i changed the engine. do anyone have a clue or can help me out? best regards
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Ecu P8pro firing issue

Post by Rob Stevens »

So if it did run ok on the other engine what has changed? I believe there is a special configuration for 5 cylinder engines where you set it as a 10 cylinder engine and use the first 5 coil outputs on the P8 ???
From what you describe the coil 5 is connected to something other than an ignition output, perhaps the turbo valve or idle valve?
Does it work ok in test injector and coil mode?
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Found it but says for Audi, not sure if the Volvo would be the same?
Screenshot 2021-12-16 194230.png
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I think the above would apply to any 5cyl engine, due to the uneven firing angles ?
billystore
ECU Model: P8 Pro
Distributor: dta fast

Post by billystore »

I have constant signal in coil 5 when i crank the engine. And no signal in coil 3.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

What do you mean a constant signal ? a constant signal would not fire a coil...just the same as no signal would not. A constant coil charge could burn a coil out though

Post your map file.

And what do you mean you " i have separate ignition coils 2 wired, not 3"

you would need 5 coils, wired correctly.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am I think the above would apply to any 5cyl engine, due to the uneven firing angles ?
No, there are a couple of different firing orders, so that has to be taken in to account.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

I think Billystore means he has 2 wire coils.
When I had (twice !) injector drivers fail they went to ground but only when the engine was turning so perhaps that is the issue on his coil drivers?
Does it work in test mode???????