inovate ls1 and s80 ecu

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ben240z
ECU Model: S80 Pro

inovate ls1 and s80 ecu

Post by ben240z »

Hi, can someone give me an idiots guide in plain english on how to calibrate and set up an inovate lc1 on the s80 ecu please? I plan to do it over the weekend.

Thanks in advance Ben
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: inovate ls1 and s80 ecu

Post by stevieturbo »

RTFM ? Follow the instructions ? lol.

Safest way, seeing as they are so prone to ground and offset issues, is test and verify.

Program the LC1 to flatline say 1v. See what this reads as on the DTA
Program the LC1 to flatline say 2v.....you get the picture.
Do this to 5v. ( I'd also start at 0.1 or 0.2v, but just used 1 as less confusing )

Then from this you can create a scaling at either end that you know actually relates to the desired AFR displayed. Program the LC1 from 0-5v as desired, and match what you had seen in relative terms compared to AFR on the DTA

ie. If 1v at the LC1 for 10.0AFR actually appeared as 0.8v on the DTA, then match the DTA scaling for 10.0 AFR to 0.8v.

Or you could just blindly click the LC1 option and use factory defaults at both ends. ( pretty sure that still exists, I no longer have DTA software on this PC to confirm )

And did the fuel pressure sort itself out ?
ben240z

Post by ben240z »

Hi Steve, the trouble with the manual is it talks about LEDs and push buttons which did not come with the unit , so I either have bits missing or as I was hoping the DTA software did a plug and play function.

Fuel pressure issue still not sorted though once I have the inovate installed so I can log fueling as well as fuel pressure I am ready to go back to llandow for a test. I have replaced the swirl pot which was the last peice of the system and as you suggested now have a pressure gauge measuring the pressure at the regulator and another at the end of the return line.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Ahh yes, you need to wire that stuff up I think on the LC-1 ? Been many years since I used one.

Do you have the little serial to jack plug lead for laptop comms with the LC-1 ? That's what you need to get accurate info and so you can program the outputs etc. And get a direct AFR reading from the unit, not some analogue output

Default programming is something like a simulated narrowband on one output, and like a 10-20 AFR on the other output, 0-5v.

But if you hook up to the laptop you can confirm this for sure. But as said, they can be prone to voltage offsets so whilst the LS1 might think it's putting out say 2.5v, it might then appear in the DTA as 2.3, 2.4, whatever.

hence always best to build your own scaling from testing
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I don't know how to set the LC-1 up, but it should be preprogrammed. If it's the same as the LC-2, then there will be two signal wires, one for wideband (yellow on LC-2), and a second that mimics the old narrow band signal (brown on LC-2, not used).

Connect the wide band signal to the S80, pin 19. In the ECU settings, Other Map Settings -> Lambda Parameters, select the Innovate LC1/LC2 preset.
You can see the voltages there, so with the engine running it should give you a rough idea if it's reading correctly.
ben240z

Post by ben240z »

Thanks Alex

Steve, yes it does have the jack plug on the loom, but I will have to get a serial to jack lead to let it communicate to the laptop

Ben
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

You'll also need the blank jack plug to 'close' the integrated daisy chain' loop.
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

katana wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:29 pm You'll also need the blank jack plug to 'close' the integrated daisy chain' loop.
This is correct.

But, also, do what stevie recommended. I had a decent amount of ground offset w/ my LC-1 no matter what I did. It came highly recommended from a tuner friend and they said to get an LM-1 when I was not having good luck, but I decided to switch to NGK AFX and have had no issues. Obviously the best bet is to have the controller built in on the ECU. Enter the T-series....
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
ben240z

Post by ben240z »

stevieturbo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:16 pm RTFM ? Follow the instructions ? lol.

Safest way, seeing as they are so prone to ground and offset issues, is test and verify.

Do this to 5v. ( I'd also start at 0.1 or 0.2v, but just used 1 as less confusing )

Then from this you can create a scaling at either end that you know actually relates to the desired AFR displayed. Program the LC1 from 0-5v as desired, and match what you had seen in relative terms compared to AFR on the DTA

ie. If 1v at the LC1 for 10.0AFR actually appeared as 0.8v on the DTA, then match the DTA scaling for 10.0 AFR to 0.8v.

Or you could just blindly click the LC1 option and use factory defaults at both ends. ( pretty sure that still exists, I no longer have DTA software on this PC to confirm )

And did the fuel pressure sort itself out ?
Hi Steve, the LC1 appears to have a fault as it would not self calibrate so have now installed an lC2, do I need to do the same test and verify as above? If so then can you elaborate on the

IE in laymans terms what do you mean by program the lc2 to flatline?

When running the engine with the lc2 installed the logworks software is showing a reading in either lambda or afr but at the moment I cant get the dta to register anything so that is separate issue as I know the unit is working.

Sorry to be the village idiot but someone has to

Thanks Ben