DTA T8 -Davies Craig EWP control

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: DTA T8 -Davies Craig EWP control

Post by Rob Stevens »

Do you have a thermostat in it?
I wouldn't have the fan come on till about 100. I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

You didn't mention what engine this is? Older (sort of anything pre 1990's) seemed to run happiest in the 75 - 80 degree range but modern engines are designed to run hotter eg. my Zetec has running temps over 90 deg with fan on at 100 and off at 95 deg. Obviously just testing in the garage standing still is squewing the actual running temps - cool moving air will make a fair old difference. My fan is controlled by DTA but I do have a slightly oversized WP pulley to slow it down - I do like the idea of a variable speed WP, so it could be an upgrade later.
Lee_edwards
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by Lee_edwards »

Sorry the engine is the 3L V6 Duratec AJ30 from the s-type Jag, Mild spec competition engine

no thermostat as this is an external jobby as standard, so the core engine has one large inlet and a large outlet (no by pass) (iv tapped into the top of the outlet and plumbed in a 8mm feed to header tank, which then comes back into the system in the bottom hose negative side of EWP)

Being a comp engine temps of 90/100 aren't good i don't think, realistically i would like it around 85deg

The problem I'm seeing is i can let the engine idle up to 94deg without the fan connected, and when i connect it I'm not seeing it dramatically drop down (with the pump set to be running 95% at 75deg and fan on at 75deg) in my eyes if the system was strong it should pull the temps down to 75deg which yes i agree is not an ideal temp but I'm wanting to nail this before i do an event and come in from a stage with high temps under the bonnet and the system not be able to cope when its idling (if that makes sence??)
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Can you hot wire the pump to make it run flat out to ensure it's up to the job.
if that's not the issue it can only be air locks or the rad/fan combo is not up to it.
I've heard that fancy triple pass rads may need a substantial pump to work correctly, should you have one of those.
G3Lee
Firmware Version: 73.01

Post by G3Lee »

Rob Stevens wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:08 am Can you hot wire the pump to make it run flat out to ensure it's up to the job.
if that's not the issue it can only be air locks or the rad/fan combo is not up to it.
I've heard that fancy triple pass rads may need a substantial pump to work correctly, should you have one of those.
Hi Rob,

Yea tried that last night and tried reducing the speed down to around 70% both had little effect either way so I'm thinking im looking at it in the wrong light and maybe its the Fan / Rad combo.

New high powered Msport fan coming tomorrow to try
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

G3Lee wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:05 pm
stevieturbo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:19 pm
Lee_edwards wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am
The SSR is a MGR - MGR-1 DD220D25

in respect to the pump changing this was just done by the sound of it, at 400hz there was no tone change when at 10% to 100% but like i mentioned when dropped to 100hz the different between 10% duty to 100% was night and day, and just a change in 5% could be heard (and seen by the brightness of LED on the SSR)
That's full blown China, no tech specs at all.

I definitely would not be trying any sort of high frequency with it. Even 100Hz might be too much.

Also bare in mind a motor is an inductive load, and there could be potentially very high flyback voltages so will likely need a suitable diode across the motor.

I'd be wanting to see a scope of both voltages and current at the motor to ensure everything is happy....or not so happy before trying to actually use it for any time period so as to reduce chance of failure of either
Sorry iv had to create a new username as i cant access my account at home wierdly.

all of the above is over my head tbh, iv had the loom built for me i just gave the measurements and said what inputs and outputs i require
Fit an OE mechanical pump. They work, simple, they work.
PhillipM
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by PhillipM »

Sounds more like an airlock or the radiator isn't up to spec, even a low fan speed should keep an idling engine under control. I can idle mine with the fans off for about 15-20 minutes and then they just need a quick burst at half speed for 30s or a minute and they cycle off again.

had nothing but issues with DC pumps before though, I sacked them off a few safari racers that were having issues, what they rate for size/flow/power on a track car ain't up to it for a rally and certainly not anything lower speeds.
G3Lee

Post by G3Lee »

A bit more digging into this resulted in a new fan and putting more holes in the bonnet it seems to be able to maintain its temps fine... I think the engine size / setup / room etc... its happy at the 80deg mark and no lower. Fan comes on at 85 and drops back out at 82 now.

However we found that 50hz on the pump resulted in a slower speed than 100hz both @ 95% duty.

So have left the setup at 100hz / max of 95% duty
G3Lee

Post by G3Lee »

stevieturbo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:19 pm
Lee_edwards wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am
The SSR is a MGR - MGR-1 DD220D25

in respect to the pump changing this was just done by the sound of it, at 400hz there was no tone change when at 10% to 100% but like i mentioned when dropped to 100hz the different between 10% duty to 100% was night and day, and just a change in 5% could be heard (and seen by the brightness of LED on the SSR)
That's full blown China, no tech specs at all.

I definitely would not be trying any sort of high frequency with it. Even 100Hz might be too much.

Also bare in mind a motor is an inductive load, and there could be potentially very high flyback voltages so will likely need a suitable diode across the motor.

I'd be wanting to see a scope of both voltages and current at the motor to ensure everything is happy....or not so happy before trying to actually use it for any time period so as to reduce chance of failure of either
As you expected the SSR hasnt lasted long. iv done a couple of events with the car and the the relay has failed luckily leaving the pump in the running position.

i will try a lower frequency, currently at 100hz, 50hz seemed to slow the pump down to much last time so give 75hz a try i guess?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Or try a better SSR ?

And do you have a flyback diode in place ?