T8 and a 6 cylinder Bosch coil pack

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

T8 and a 6 cylinder Bosch coil pack

Post by SMR »

Hi All,

I'm installing a T8 in a Capri, running an Essex 3 litre V6 engine and would appreciate a sanity check on my assumptions/decisions for running the sparks.

Engine firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6

I'm using a Bosch triple wasted spark coil pack (0 221 503 002) which has 3 inputs.

I'll be running the T8 in wasted spark (haven't yet investigated software settings as I've always used individual COPS on other instals) but am I correct in thinking that I'll use three ignition channels to drive the three coil inputs as follows;

T8 pin C1/10; "Coil 1" - firing cylinders 1 and then 5
T8 pin C1/18; "Coil 2" - firing cylinders 4 and then 3
T8 pin C1/1; "Coil 3" - firing cylinders 2 and then 6

(Don't suggest changing to COPS as the customer has already bought the coil so it's being used, despite the T8 having plenty of ignition drivers to run individual cylinders)

The Bosch coil has inputs 1, 2 and 3, (and 4 which i believe is +12v feed) and the six HT towers are marked up as 1 to 6 but I guess that only relates to the firing order of the engine the coil was originally designed for? Or does anyone know the specific relationship?

I've been trawling forums and online but can't seem to find a definitive wiring for this coil - anyone help? What I need to confirm is which of the two HT towers relates to each of the 3 input channels.

With the labeling on the coil it implies cylinders 2 & 5 are one coil, cylinders 6 & 3 another, and cylinders 1 & 4 the third coil - but i don't know which input each relates to.

Any help appreciated!
Cheers
Steve
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: T8 and a 6 cylinder Bosch coil pack

Post by katana »

Unlikely any multi cylinder coil pack would be made with non paired cylinders - it would be pointless as it couldn't run wasted and in this case doesn't have enough inputs to run individual firing patterns - unless its completely wrong for this particular firing sequence!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Can you compare against the engine the coil came from ?

Typically, each pair of towers will be a single coil so to speak, firing off one input. So it should make some sense just by looking at it.
SMR

Post by SMR »

Thanks guys,

Katana - there's no doubt it is a tripple double-ended coil pack so each input will fire a pair of towers - my question is which input relates to which pair of towers?
I'm also looking for confirmation that I've made the correct assumption with which two cylinders run off each of the three DTA coil drivers.

Stevieturbo - it's a Bosch coil bought new so I've no idea what engine it was originally designed for. I will get out the multimeter and see if I can figure out which pair of towers relate to which input.

Cheers
Steve
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

This maybe some help in diagnosis - https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/pr ... coil-pack/
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Do a coil test and see what sparks

Just connect 12v and whatever wire is the trigger/pair you wish to test.

Unless you can test individual outputs on the T series and just do that
SMR

Post by SMR »

Thanks Katana, I did find that one, and although not the same coil-pack, was a bit helpful.

Stevieturbo - yes, likely will have to rig it up on the bench (with the T4) and test individual outputs. The loom is going straight to the engine-dyno man once I've finished it so I want the confidence it's got the correct firing order!

From some more searching online, this coil may be used on the v6 Vauxhall Vectra engines (C25XE or X25XE) which have a 1,2,3,4,5,6 firing order; that does let me guess the correct tower to use but I do want to test out my theory first.

Steve
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Always best to test for sure.
SMR

Post by SMR »

Finished off the dyno loom today and tested it out on the bench;

The coil wiring did end up matching the info from Motorsports Electronics site; whereby channel 1 fires the 3rd coil, input 2 fires the 2nd coil and input 3 fires the first coil.

Neat function in TWin that allows you to check individual channels rather than the lot together.

It meant I was able to hook up all six injectors and six spark plugs and check each channel functioned in firing order (not that it's important for the injectors, but still wanted it to be right). I even managed to do a scope trace with the crank sensor just waving a magnet in front of it!

Can't seem to attach a photo at the moment but quite pleased with a "quick and easy" loom just for the dyno; Once the car get's assembled, I'll need to redo it to add the missing sensors/outputs and custom fit it (I didn't have the engine in front of me to get any measurements/locations so have just made all the wires long and individually heat-shrunk them. And just a single fuse/relay/switch and a pair of ring terminals - hopefully the dyno man copes with that!

Steve
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

injectors are important if you want true sequential injection.