hall effect sensor

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
fast944
ECU Model: S40 Pro

hall effect sensor

Post by fast944 »

To install hall effect sensor crank and cam on a S60 do I need resistor, better use NPN or PNP sensor, better 5 volts or 12 volts ?
Thanks
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: hall effect sensor

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty sure it's NPN, voltage is irrelevant and dependent on what the specific sensor wants.
fast944
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by fast944 »

sensor are rated 5 to 24 volts because 5 volts it is at the limit I figure 12 volts will be better special at cranking not shure 5 volts will be acurate but not shure input of the ecu will like 12 volts instead of 5 volts ??
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

As DTA specify a 5v rail for all sensor feeds, I would assume a 12v sensor would cause issues as the ecu is just looking for 0v - 5v square wave. The 5v rail should be regulated and independent of the 12v power feed that are more likely to be affected during cranking / cold starting.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

fast944 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:15 pm sensor are rated 5 to 24 volts because 5 volts it is at the limit I figure 12 volts will be better special at cranking not shure 5 volts will be acurate but not shure input of the ecu will like 12 volts instead of 5 volts ??
Not all hall sensors will output 12v even though they are powered as such..I wouldn't worry.

Engine speed is irrelevant for a hall sensor.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

I've used various hall sensors for wheel speed sensors and some have needed a minimum of 8v, so I fee them 12v; the output is usually still a 0-5v signal.

Have you considered using a magnetic two-wire sensor for the crank; there must be a reason all the bike engines do it this way - is it a more reliable signal?

Steve
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

I have found that while hall effect gives a scientifically more "accurate" sensor (near-zero RPM speed required, etc.) the 2-wire magnetic VR sensors handle engine speed triggers better especially with high tooth counts. That's been my experience. I went and put hall effect (Cherry) with adjustable gap on BMW engines and ended up converting back to VR. Cam sensors work great hall effect.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW