coil on plug.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stallionmark
ECU Model: S60 Pro

coil on plug.

Post by stallionmark »

I have finally started up my car after about 6 years,and will soon have it on the road.

am running an S60 and i had two coils which are now starting to fail.
I am considering to get a bit of an upgrade with a set of coil on plugs instead.
Any tips on which type i should or shouldn't get would be much appreciated.

many thanks guys!! :)

Mark.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: coil on plug.

Post by stevieturbo »

Might help if you stated what engine, what application !
Antral

Post by Antral »

Don't bother stick with a wasted spark coil, cheaper and more reliable with a better spark. ;)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

true, most modern 4 tower setups are very powerful and adequate for most builds.

And very easy to fit.

But what is easiest and most suitable does still depend what engine, what application, what ignition requirements etc
stallionmark

Post by stallionmark »

Am sorry.

The engine is a 2 litre 16v turbo,the same engine of the Lancia Delta Integrale/Fiat Coupe and Alfa 155 Q4.i'll attach a pic just to be sure.
It's a street car but will be using it for track days in Sicily.

i've been searching around a little and i have found many different types of coils(two wires/4wires)which ones are the most adequate for the S60?(easy to wire up with no extra hassle)

I hope i don't sound ridiculous here but what do you mean by what application and what ignition requirements? :oops:

Thanks

Mark
Attachments
11062012(005).jpg
ibizacupra

Post by ibizacupra »

I run 2.0tfsi coil packs on my ibiza on its S60
20v 4cyl engine

support>550bhp without issue
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

stallionmark wrote:
I hope i don't sound ridiculous here but what do you mean by what application and what ignition requirements? :oops:

Thanks

Mark
Are you looking for coil on plug, coil near plug, 4 tower etc
Is it a n/a engine, or one making 40psi running on methanol and 13,000rpm ?

Are you running full sequential setup in order to run true coil on plug ( ie 1 spark per firing cycle ), or are you running a crank sensor only, in which case you'll always be wasted spark anyway.

I know they are extremes, but just trying to get an idea of how much spark you actually need.

Sounds like any decent modern 4 tower coil would be fine though.

So is your preference coil near plug, coil on plug, or a simple 4 tower style.

Ive seen some guys use an Audi COP on top of Cossies before, so maybe they might be suitable.

You mention Sicily ? So do you have good access to parts locally, or are some brands easier to get than others ?
A lot of people just use the Ford 4 tower coils and they work great.
stallionmark

Post by stallionmark »

wow,you guys are really informed about whats what!!:)

i'm sorry but this is our first turbo engine and also our first programmable ecu we have ever used,so we are all new to this!

we're planning on giving it no more than 19psi,no more than 7500 rpm.

i have a cam sensor fitted and am planning on switching on to sequential injection and sequential spark(if that's possible)

i think coil on plug is the best right?but if i don't need to go for coil on plug i'll go for whatever makes more sense for my application.

I'm from Malta,i'm planning on going to Sicily only to race,regarding parts i usually purchase everything from abroad(Ebay/Internet)
prices here are usually very high!!

so you think i don't need anything more powerful than the normal 4 tower coil?
in that case i think i have one available in the garage it came off a Lancia Kappa which shares the same engine as i have here!only its more modern.i got a pic of a similar one here.you think it's enough??

thanks for your time everyone!!!
Attachments
lancia kappa coil.jpg
lancia kappa coil.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 8626 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

It's certainly worth a try. Most modern coils are very powerful.

Roger Carabot is a DTA dealer and has lots of experience with DTA ( username Rocar on this forum ) and is based in Malta, maybe give him a shout.

Until you add a cam sensor, you cannot run true coil on plug, although you can still use one coil per cylinder, albeit fired as wasted spark ( I do this with my V8 )

LS1/2 etc coils work very well for this. I'm using the old LS1 coils as fitted to my engine.

I think the Ford one a lot of people use, and perhaps DTA themselves sell, is just form a Ford Zetec engine, so should be easy found even in Malta.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

This top coil pack is found on many VW/Audi cars and is supposed to be very powerful. It has built in ignitors. Again, shouldnt be that hard to find. Ive never used one myself though

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=80