V65 version out ...

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: V65 version out ...

Post by stevieturbo »

Those big pumps always seem to promise a lot....but rarely deliver.

Obviously you mostly only hear bad news, but until reliability on such units has been well proven, I wouldnt go near one.

Likewise their flow claims always seem a tad optimistic, and often little use for a boosted efi appliaction
That link suggests 1800 HP worth of flow at 20psi...like wtf ?

How much will it flow at 80psi ? And how reliable will it be

I enquired with a friend running a "2000HP" Magnafuel pump recently. Nice in theory, it's already struggling around 1200hp.

I'm currently using 2 x 044's, but can see either a voltage boost in the future or a 3rd pump. Running them all at once but via PWM would be superb.
Ideally a Boostapump style setup that also operated via PWM would be superb.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

Yeah I know the pumps can be optimistic but I look at it more for a realibility stand point - I run Aeromotive A1000 and it would be nice to turn the pump down at idle so my injector DC isn't so tight and so the pump isn't full-on all the time, though I've had no issue. Aeromotive recommends a controller for the pump to pro long life.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Bosch 044's are well proven, they're compact and very reliable. They also flow well...and continue to flow well right up to and beyond 100psi.
I didnt want to run multiple pumps, but there just wasnt a single pump out there that would do what I wanted.

I wouldnt get too involved trying to reduce pump output in an attempt to run lower injector pulse widths. Less fuel pressure will only make them dribble.
I dont know how good the DTA actually is with the modern large injectors. Ive used the ID2000's on a friends Subaru with a Motec, and they truly are amazing. Not sure if the same would apply to all ecu's though. I think his base pressure is around 45-50psi with no vac.
It will happily idle in the 14.x range ! The change from ID1000 which were not big enough to the ID2000 was shockingly smooth. I thought it would have been a nightmare given their size.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

The A1000 is a good pump. Bloody noisy though!

I ran an 044 for a while and it's also a good pump, but that was also a touch too loud for a road car, even submersed in an external surge tank.

In the end I settled on a Bosch 040 in-tank pump and that's been the best compromise so far.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Ive a pair of 044's mounted externally, cant say the noise has ever been an issue. I had an A1000 before them, and it was much louder.

You can use 044's in tank too, and they do flow a little more than an 040
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

stevieturbo wrote:
Jon K wrote:
Mr Drew wrote:The maximum frequency for aux 3 has doubled to 1Khz which I found handy as I use that to vary the load on my electric power steering column.
Thats fairly awesome - being 1 Khz now, you can PWM control a fuel pump!
DO those cheap solid state relays operate at such frequencies ?

Having a PWM for the actual FP output would be nice...to give us a proper fuel pump PWM option.

ie, on prime and startup run 100% DC for first few seconds, then it can switch to the PWM map of TPS or some other load vs output

And then source a suitable amp to run 2-3 pumps
1Khz is not enough even, but sure SSR's can handle that kind of frequencies.

I tried to regulate the FP(044) with an SSR directly from an AUX output(3D table), but it’s not efficient, meaning the range of regulation is rather small (from +/- 70% to 95%, under that, the pump(inline) was not always starting), but what’s worse it makes a lot of noise.

SSR’s for a fan would work better I guess, because they have some inertia once they move, and still not too much for starting.

But using it for a pump, no, therefore you’ll need a H-bridge(half) which works at >10Khz pwm frequency, with a lot of different things to take care of(like back EMF), for it to work smooth.

I hacked a ‘Jaguar motor controller’ from TI, with my own firmware, and it works really good, it can handle up to 40A, and runs the pump slow on idle and low load, then goes up with RPM and load, made also some failsafe algorithms in case of lost signal, in tank pump is running or not, etc.

It also has a CANbus interface, so it could as well transfer some info from the motor controller on a display ;)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

And these controllers will be available when ? lol
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

They are available for some time now, they only need a different firmware and some minor HW tweaks! lol
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Sounds like an ideal product, keep us posted for sure
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

MarcoV6T wrote:They are available for some time now, they only need a different firmware and some minor HW tweaks! lol
I'll rephrase...when are they available for dummies who havent a clue about firmware and hardware tweeks lol

Ive seen a company in the US, Vaporworx offer a PWM controlled setup. But it's more a complete kit for some US OEM vehicles.