Adding fuel and pulling advance for dry nitrous

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: Adding fuel and pulling advance for dry nitrous

Post by lumley32 »

the problem with having channels that are completely flexable is 2 fold,

1) you cant have a wiring digram, makes things hard for novices!

2) you cant swap maps or ecus, ive seen people swap motec ecus for diagnostic reasons and it cooked it in about 10 seconds! is this case the wrong wiring meant that something was connected to one of the outputs that wasn't a lambda heater and cooked the main regulator in the ecu, made a £4000 paperweight!

i have talked to Allan about this matter and he is not interested in changing how the inputs/outputs are set up! this is a budget ecu, if you want more flexibility you have to upgrade im afraid!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

1...you can have a wiring diagram. Simple...Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 etc. In fact, it's how DTA's own are drawn too. Except you could say they confuse things by tagging several names to some outputs and inputs.

2. You can swap maps and ecu's. No matter what map or ecu you use, it must be set up correctly for your individual application. That applies to absolutely any ecu including DTA

If you configure or wire something wrong, it certainly isnt the fault of the ecu. It is a budget ecu, but adding flexibility, or at a minimum unpairing the Ana/Aux channels would be a huge improvement, and really should just be simple software changes, but would be a huge difference to functionality.
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

i should point out that was paraphrased from what Allan told me.

I do think that these ecus could be far better, but the people that make them don't agree!

if some one could re develop the software then that would be a different matter!
Jon K
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Post by Jon K »

If we set the aux I/O's aside for the time being, do you think it would be worthwhile to implement a proper nitrous strategy? I would be most interested in that - I think that could be a real game changer for it. You could also, technically, use the nitrous circuit for water/methanol control too, then.

I would really love to see spare ignition/injector outputs be available as AUX- I would buy an S100 just for that!
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Yea, the S100 has more outputs....except they are dedicated for specific tasks only.

By nitrous strategy, what do you mean ?
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:Yea, the S100 has more outputs....except they are dedicated for specific tasks only.

By nitrous strategy, what do you mean ?
"Nitrous strategy" - I just mean that if DTA had a dedicated "nitrous" function with associated I/O, would anyone use it? I mean in comparison to trying to rig together separate un-related I/O's.

Yeah I know the S100 outputs are all hard coded... but if Allan were able to break the ignition and injector outputs away from being just for those functions, I'd "upgrade" just to have more I/O.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

True, it would be a good idea. Especially as progressive nitrous controllers are more common these days with people using large shots of gas

A dedicated nitrous function may not be needed....existing outputs with more flexibility would do the same job.

But a dedicated nitrous would be easier, with say an output for the gas solenoid and one for the fuel solenoid. Obviously all married together, but allowing different PWM's for each for fine tuning.

Long gone are the days when nitrous was simply off or on.

Stick it on the wish list lol
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

stevieturbo wrote:True, it would be a good idea. Especially as progressive nitrous controllers are more common these days with people using large shots of gas

A dedicated nitrous function may not be needed....existing outputs with more flexibility would do the same job.

But a dedicated nitrous would be easier, with say an output for the gas solenoid and one for the fuel solenoid. Obviously all married together, but allowing different PWM's for each for fine tuning.

Long gone are the days when nitrous was simply off or on.

Stick it on the wish list lol
The more I read up on it the more I read that fuel through a nozzle is a waste if you have enough injector overhead so maybe just a single output would be ok with the ability to add additional fuel. I guess yeah a dedicated nitrous circuit wouldn't be necessary but it would be cool because perhaps it could be setup for guys who run things timed or target a KPA level and then shut off, etc.

I have looked up on a lot of progressive controllers and it seems no one is REALLY happy with what they have. The best one so far seems to be the Wizard of NOS units but they're like 400 euro, which is quite expensive! Ahh!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Everything this side of the pond is mega expensive !!! They seem to have the best solenoids too, especially as far as pulsing them goes.
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

Yeah - I've been in touch with Trevor there and he seems pretty knowledgeable. I only hope that someday DTA I/O can be re-organized so I can make this work exactly as required for the safest solution. Going to start piecing it together, though.

This little guy showed up today:

Hella Solid State Relay by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Its pretty nice - built in heatsink, its a MOSFET that can hold 32A. I got two of them (one for nitrous solenoid, one for purge).