Tuning a boosted engine using a P8 pro.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Tuning a boosted engine using a P8 pro.

Post by stevieturbo »

You can use either Ana3 input or normal Lambda input. This did change early on in the P8's life, freeing up Ana3 for other things

However, wideband closed loop control is either off or on, as chosen either in software or switch. You cannot change this by rpm or any other parameter, same as the S series is today.
Only narrowband can be turned off and on as you describe ( unless things have changed )

For the boost map. The PWM's vs TPS are there to give some resolution to power delivery via your throttle. So 100% TPS will provide max desired boost pressure. But you can also configure it so at say 50%, it may only achieve half of your max boost pressure, as it isnt always easy to modulate this using your foot.
Or if an engine spools very very early at say only 20-30% throttle, it may try and hit max boost far too early. It's entirely up to you and your engine package how these are configured.

Easiest is to fill entire map with same value until at WOT you have your desired boost target achieved thgroughout the rpm range. Then scale back the lower TPS numbers. Starting from zero of course, and working up to your desired boost pressure.

While these scalings may be sound for a n/a car with a sensor placed never to see heat soak and are theoretically correct...

I would never used them on a boosted car. I would be inclined to leave temps over say 30degC at zero. Perhaps even making them richer from say 50degC upwards.
The last thing you want is a boosted engine pulling more fuel whilst on boost.
It will also hep your heat issue. There is no need to be pulling such large amounts if fuel at those temperatures IMO. And is exactly why you're seeing lean mixtures.
Although it's largely because it is a false air temp reading.

Roverdose
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Post by Roverdose »

my software v35 has the options to turn it off, i thought that was in them all?

Drew
DiscoPotatoes
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

Thanks for all the replies,
To start with I can't even begin to get my head round rpm vs map as main load with out putting it on a dyno,
Map compensation makes more sense to me.
Here's a couple of my maps
I'm going to change the pressure comp map to standard so will this require me to adjust the main fuel map?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
DiscoPotatoes
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Post by DiscoPotatoes »

Could only load three picture on the last post!
The first pic is the standard compensation map which I will change mine to, the second is how it is at the moment,
I'm going to forget about the lambda settings for the minute as I can tune it with the afr gauge
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

DiscoPotatoes wrote:Thanks for all the replies,
To start with I can't even begin to get my head round rpm vs map as main load with out putting it on a dyno,
Map compensation makes more sense to me.
Here's a couple of my maps
I'm going to change the pressure comp map to standard so will this require me to adjust the main fuel map?
If you make any changes, then all mapping must be checked to ensure it is safe. And changing pressure compensations is a huge change.
Some of your entries will maybe see a 10% change which is a lot. So everything will need checked again

I thought there was an option to "set to standard" in the software ? cant see it on my computer though.
As long as at 100kpa it is at 0%, 200kpa 100%, 300kpa 300% and at 0kpa or as close to it as possible -100% then those are correct in theory.

As for ignition timing, you will need to decide your own values of timing advance/retard based on pressure

For a boosted engine, absolutely do not leave sites over 100kpa with 0% compensation or you will blow your engine to bits. You must have some timing retarded over your main TPS map.

Confusing and awkward using so many maps....when one can do it all.

MAP vs RPM is as easy as you could possibly want. The numbers in the table are the numbers the engine sees. No silly compensations or maths to work out. It's all there in front of you, exactly as will be seen at the engine. You arent hoping or guessing the engine gets what you want it to.

Roverdose wrote:my software v35 has the options to turn it off, i thought that was in them all?

Drew
If you're referring to the last two options on the main list, AFAIK they only refer to narrowband operation. Not wideband.
S Series is still the same.
Last edited by stevieturbo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.