install s40

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mantajock
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 30

install s40

Post by mantajock »

hi guys
i have a manta with xe red top engine , i have the s40 ignition only ecu , and i have the dta loom , so i have every thing plugged in apart from shift light,on off switch tacho fan relay and fuel relay , shift light i will get , no fan relay or fuel relay so dont need them , tacho still to wire up i only have 1 wire in my loom this has 2 wires ?, on off switch do i need this wired up , tried to start it and no spark only thing i thought was the crank sensor or wheel , i have the 36.1 toothed wheel on front pully as i have a steel crank , i have been told to have it set at the 9th tooth away from the missing tooth , but i would think i would have still got a spark if this was wrong , is it the on off switch wire ? and where will this go , i still have a key to start no button etc and it has a kill switch , help please i want to hear this 270 bhp beast running .
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: install s40

Post by stevieturbo »

Have you the ecu hooked up to a laptop ? for diagnostic purposes.

Ive never used one of these, so cant comment much.

As for the 1 wire. The tacho will only need 1 wire from the ecu/coil. The tacho will receive it's 12v and ground from elsewhere, or already built into the instrument cluster.

If there is an on/off switch....is this part of the DTA loom ? Is it a mechanical switch ? Was there no instruction manual ? Cant seem to find any documentation online relating to the ignition only ecu's

I guess if there is a switch, it would make sense that it would need to be on for the unit to work and provide a spark.

And yes, as long as the crankshaft is rotation, if the unit is working and wired/configured correctly you should get a spark regardless of where the sensor is in relation to the missing tooth. But for the timing to be correct, it needs to be in the correct position ( again, no idea if this is flexible and adjusted in the software as it is with the full ecu's )
mantajock

Post by mantajock »

was thinking about the switch tonight , will put one on tomorow and try and no instructions with it just what was on the loom , i got this along with the engine and is all new never been on , but more i think its the switch i have to put on , must be to switch ecu off and on , let you know tomorow , cheers
stevieturbo wrote:Have you the ecu hooked up to a laptop ? for diagnostic purposes.

Ive never used one of these, so cant comment much.

As for the 1 wire. The tacho will only need 1 wire from the ecu/coil. The tacho will receive it's 12v and ground from elsewhere, or already built into the instrument cluster.

If there is an on/off switch....is this part of the DTA loom ? Is it a mechanical switch ? Was there no instruction manual ? Cant seem to find any documentation online relating to the ignition only ecu's

I guess if there is a switch, it would make sense that it would need to be on for the unit to work and provide a spark.

And yes, as long as the crankshaft is rotation, if the unit is working and wired/configured correctly you should get a spark regardless of where the sensor is in relation to the missing tooth. But for the timing to be correct, it needs to be in the correct position ( again, no idea if this is flexible and adjusted in the software as it is with the full ecu's )
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Don't wire it up just yet with a switch, in case it does something that is undesirable like blow a fuse. You need to verify with a meeter what its for. The ignition only is just the same as S40 but the 1st injector driver is omitted, that's the only difference.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

So wiring diagram, tuning software etc are all as per S40 ?

In that case, check the wiring and see what the switch is actually wired to.
Antral

Post by Antral »

S40I and S40I loom doesn't sound like a DTA loom they don't have fan and pump wires and what on earth is the switch wire all about.
You need to connect to the ecu to see whats going on.
Antral

Post by Antral »

Also,
If you are using a key ignition switch make sure you have wired it to the correct pin ( NOT the accessory position ) ;) as you may be switching the ecu off when cranking so it will never start again you need to connect to the ecu software.
mantajock

Post by mantajock »

sorted , started first turn today , the on/off switch wire just needed a switch ,must switch ecu off/on , sounds sweet just need to get it mapped and its ready for the racing season , theres nothing like a sound of an xe on carbs mmmmmm.
cheers for all yer help