Mk1 vw 1.8t conversion

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Leemk1
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Mef
Firmware Version: 66

Mk1 vw 1.8t conversion

Post by Leemk1 »

Hi all , I have spent all weekend installing my loom for my mk1 conversion , it has gone quite well and I have managed to start the engine and get it to idle. My mapper supplied me with a base map for a 1.8t engine running a big turbo conversion which has come in usefull. I am using coil on plug set up but had to change the setting as the map I loaded was not set to this. The problem I am having is the individual coil packs are overheating and getting very hot to touch , is is possible that there is a setting on the map that could cause this as I am very confident in the wiring , when I pulled the 20a fuse that controls the injectors and coils it was vey hot, I replaced it with a 10 a and it kept blowing , surley a 20a would be correct ? Any thoughts would be much appreciated cheers lee ( by the way I'm new to this custom managment so simple terms would be appreciated ) :-)
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: Mk1 vw 1.8t conversion

Post by Simon P. »

In the General Engine Settings menu, what is the coil on time set to? Coil packs usually require a longer dwell time (coil on time) than coil on plugs. If set incorrectly, this could be why your coils are overheating. You should correct this IMMEDIATLY before damage to the coil drivers in the DTA occurs... Typical coil pack dwell times are in the 3500 to 4000 ms, COPs usually run in the 1500 to 2500ms.
Also, you should check what values have been entered (if any) in the Battery Compensation table and if the compensations are enabled. If enabled, disable them until you know what your specific coil requirements are.
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

From what I remember 2800 it was set to , have spent most of the evening looking through the Manuel and saw this setting but didn't wanna alter things I didn't know alot about , do you think 2800 is to much ?
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

Just loading map on laptop now so I can give accurate numbers
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

Yep 2800 is correct battery compensation is set to 4000 from 8.0 to 17.5v ? Is that any help ?
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

Right the info I found on cop say that dwell should be 2.4ms would 0.4 cause this overheating issue ? Any ideas people ?
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by Simon P. »

Leemk1 wrote:Yep 2800 is correct battery compensation is set to 4000 from 8.0 to 17.5v ? Is that any help ?
Alright, but is it enabled? The box right below the collums must be checked for this feature to be enabled...
And do you have the same 2800ms value entered in the General Engine settings? If so, I would make sure the Batt Comp. are disabled for now and just run on the General Engine Settings parameter of 2800ms.
FWIW I run my own Bosch COPs on my BMW S54 at 2800ms without any overheating. I've recently managed to get my hands on the BMW OE dwell settings though and they are much shorter (by more than half@12V...) so I plan to start reducing my own values even though I haven't ever noticed overly hot coils.
I would suggest you make sure the Batt Comp. is unckecked for the coil on time portion of the compensation tables, also that 2800ms is the default value entered in the General Engine Stettings and just start reducing this value incrementaly to see if you can see any sgnificant impact on the coil temps. I would suspect that, at idle, you could bring this value down to half it's current value without adverse effects.
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

In the battery compensation all that's checked is the "use injector dead time " am I looking on the right place ? The 2800 was found in general settings where else would these values be entered ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Exactly what coils are you using, and how many wires does each one have ?
Leemk1

Post by Leemk1 »

Hitachi cm11-201 4 pin plug to each coil