S80Pro on 1UZ and ITB

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Sir Humpalot
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose
Firmware Version: 66

S80Pro on 1UZ and ITB

Post by Sir Humpalot »

Hi all,

I'm very new to DTA, but not totally to standalone ECU setting. There are still many things that I'm figuring out on my 1UZ ITB.

The setup is pretty straight forward, nothing too fancy at this stage. The motor came of a LS400 ('96) with ITB and COP from Denso. I'm using hall effect sensor for both crank/cam sensor.

Currently I'm facing the ECU heating issue. The ECU gets very hot when it is switched on for about 3minutes. This engine will starts but after about 10-15 minutes it would just shut itself down, which I believes it's the feature of the S80Pro to protect the circuit from melting. I've tried to diagnose the problem by disconnecting all injectors and coil to remove any load from the ECU. Even with all the inject and coil are plugged, the ECU tends to be very very hot.

After things cool down, the engine will start and it can revs smooth to about 6500 rpm. However, it will get hot and shutdown after awhile.

Has anyone experienced this before? and can anyone help advice where I should be looking?
Attachments
DPP_0013.JPG
DPP_0012.JPG
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S80Pro on 1UZ and ITB

Post by stevieturbo »

You mention "the ecu heating issue" as if you've heard of it before or is common ?

Cant say Ive ever heard of it myself though.

Do all sensors read as expected, no warnings etc on screen ? Do you get a warning prior to shutdown ?

I really cant think what the problem is, other than either a wiring problem, or ecu setup problem as far as injector or coil drivers perhaps.

IMO, first try unplugging everything from the ecu at the engine side. This will let you power up the ecu, but with no form of load attached to it. It should sit indefinitely and build almost no heat. You'd be almost just testing the wiring loom at this stage.

If all appears well, start plugging things back in one by one
MSEL
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

If you are running coils with built in ignitors (as used by Toyota) and not using the ignitors built into the S80, the S80 will get hot - hot enough that it is unpleasant to hold.

Have a look at the diagnostics screen with the engine running and it should show there why the engine stops after 10 minutes.
Sir Humpalot

Post by Sir Humpalot »

stevieturbo wrote:IMO, first try unplugging everything from the ecu at the engine side. This will let you power up the ecu, but with no form of load attached to it. It should sit indefinitely and build almost no heat. You'd be almost just testing the wiring loom at this stage.

If all appears well, start plugging things back in one by one
I've tried that last night and got the same result. the ECU is still get quite hot. Mine have to go through the Loom again.

cheers
Sir Humpalot

Post by Sir Humpalot »

MSEL wrote:If you are running coils with built in ignitors (as used by Toyota) and not using the ignitors built into the S80, the S80 will get hot - hot enough that it is unpleasant to hold.

Have a look at the diagnostics screen with the engine running and it should show there why the engine stops after 10 minutes.
Hmmm, I thought that it was gonna be the other way round, which by using the internal ignitors of the S80 will actually heat it up faster.

it didn't show any message when engine shuts down. I was told that there should be some kinda message if the drivers overheated.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I have only used dumb coils so always used internal igniters..... so I just did a test with an S80 on the bench, no wiring except power and ground.
Checked the external igniter box in Settings and sure enough after 15 minutes or so it was getting rather warm, I could touch it but it didn't seem right. Unchecked the box in settings and in another 10 minutes or so it had cooled down again. Odd.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
MSEL

Post by MSEL »

About the heat when external amps are ticked, this is directly from Allan when I asked him the exact same question:-

"the unit will run warm when external coil amps are selected"
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Ive run external coil amps for years, never noticed any heat really ?
MSEL

Post by MSEL »

All I'm doing is passing on the information Allan gave me when one of my customers emailed him directly. The ECU was definitely warm, boarding on hot.

It could do with how many drivers you are using - if you are using a dizzi and only using one output then the heat output into the case would obviously be less than if you are running an 8 cylinder with external ignitors.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Sir Humpalot wrote:The ECU gets very hot when it is switched on for about 3minutes.
Missed this from your initial post. On the bench, ecu only got really warm to touch after about 15minutes or so, certainly after 3 minutes it was still cold.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |