Which RS232 to USB

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Bollah
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

Which RS232 to USB

Post by Bollah »

As per the title really. Any recommendations on which RS232 to USB converter cable to get? I realise DTA do one but at some cost. Anything about the £10 would be fine.

It will be used for a Windows 7 machine (32 bit) and I may in the future look into seeing if I can stream the data from the ECU onto a tablet by using a OTR cable, as Stevie's posts about displays that connect to the ECU has got me interested in experiementing :mrgreen:
Bollah
Firmware Version: 71

Re: Which RS232 to USB

Post by Bollah »

Scrap the request, seems if I used the search feature, this (http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p48/USB_to_RS23 ... tml?page=2) gets mentioned a couple of times and works without any issues.
x30xe

Post by x30xe »

I have old cheap Belkin adapter. It started to work in my new Acer (WIN8!!!) when I reduced some buffering settings.
pete_rallyeer
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by pete_rallyeer »

You'll find almost all the chips in the adaptors are made by Prolific, and in my experience these seem to work well with most things. There are drivers for Windows 8 (and all the other Windows) on their website.

I guess there's some cheap Chinese crap on the market too but even for £15 in Maplin the Prolific chipped ones aren't exactly expensive.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

Although I've been selling the Prolific ones for many years now, I just bought an FTDI chipped one to try and I found it more reliable and easier to use than the Prolific ones. It even worked first time with the firmware STflasher s/w.

Martin