Pull up to 5v

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Pull up to 5v

Post by Alex DTA »

I'm going to wire my oil pressure sender to my ECU as the gauge I have is so inaccurate I may as well not bother. I have a 10 bar VDO sender.

DTASwin mentions this needs a 560 Ohm pullup to 5v. Where do I fit this? Between the sender and the ECU as it's a pullup?
Sensor is grounded to the mount.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Pull up to 5v

Post by stevieturbo »

As per the wiring diagram

A proper 5v sensor would be better though. Not sure how accurate the 2 wire ones are ?
MSEL
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

I would recommend not running a VDO sensor - they are very old school and a lot more suspect to failure due to their mechanical design. The solid state type sensors have dropped in price tremendously over the past five years.

If you are using the VDO sensor, do not use it to set your fuel pressure. They read different on the way up to what they do on the way down due to their rheostat type design.

VDO sensors are designed to tell you whether you have pressure or not - not if you have 42psi or 45psi of fuel pressure.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm using one of these for my oil pressure, seemed reasonably priced

https://shop.vems.hu/catalog/pressure-s ... 4a7908d23a

Or here is a good quality KSA 10bar sensor

http://www.jti.uk.com/product/10-bar-fl ... e-sensors/

I bought one of the cheap ZadaTech ones off egay...it lasted 3 weeks, still meaning to post that back for a replacement.
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Good to know, thanks.
It's on a Mk2 Golf, so would require M10x1 threads, or an adapter.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Most sensors will be 1/4 NPT...

If you were feeling nasty, you could just screw it into an M10x1.0 hole, and it'd probably seal fine, but it would damage the threads.

Adaptors arent expensive though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-NPT-Femal ... 27db017328

Some prefer to remote mount sensors on a short piece of hose. Keeps them away from direct engine vibration
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:If you were feeling nasty, you could just screw it into an M10x1.0 hole, and it'd probably seal fine, but it would damage the threads.
Err, no thanks, I'll do it properly with an adapter. ;)
stevieturbo wrote:Some prefer to remote mount sensors on a short piece of hose. Keeps them away from direct engine vibration
I wondered what the reason for that was. Makes sense now. :)

Ordered one of the VEMS ones, will see how I get on.
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

never attach a sensor to an engine, always use a length of pipe, i use -3 braided break line as theres such a good range of fittings. i use the cheep Chinese 3 wire sensors, but for anything demanding i do dismantle and pot them. they will last at least 6-10 laps at the TT potted, without potting they might last 1!
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

lumley32 wrote:but for anything demanding i do dismantle and pot them. they will last at least 6-10 laps at the TT potted, without potting they might last 1!
What do you mean by potting?
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

i take them appart and fill the inside with a epoxy resin to stop any of the components from moving or vibrating, its a very common thing in electronics.