P8 pro miss fire on 1&4

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Benmk1
ECU Model: P8 Pro

P8 pro miss fire on 1&4

Post by Benmk1 »

I have a mk1 golf with a 1.8t 20v out of a mk4 golf engine in brought the Ecu u and loom from someone down South said came off a car that ran fine, but was running bigger turbo and injectors than mine, it's a p8 pro gm type map sensor, just brought a new one as didn't supply with one have normal Vw 4pin amplified coils, runs standard crank sensor which is 60/2 pick up, will run ok on 2/3 with apart fine but not on 1/4 are these Ecus common for drivers to fail, really confused wiring loom was made buy a big company fully like Motorsport loom just wondering if anyone could recommend anything? Thanks a lot Ben
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: P8 pro miss fire on 1&4

Post by Rob Stevens »

I think first thing to try is test injectors and coils, swap the pair that is running to the pair that isn't running.
Also how is it wired? you have 4 amplified coils? does each one have its own ecu connection or are they joined somehow?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I think the P8 needs pullup resistors on the ignition outputs to allow external amps to be used ?
Benmk1

Post by Benmk1 »

It has got resistors linked in each plug the company made the loom have do a real good job, I guess u have 2 earths on the 4 pin coils 12v live ignition live and then a switch wire off the Ecu I assume a p8 pro hAs 4 drivers for coils as omex and that only have 2 and u just link the like 1&3 2&4 just blagged tryed all basics coil injectors work just seams strange thanks for the replys thanks Ben
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I would wire 1 coil per driver in firing order, then enable twin spark with zero offset

This is assuming you are not running proper sequential, ie crank and cam sensor working.
Benmk1

Post by Benmk1 »

It's not running cam sensor mate just crank and I guess would be like a wasted spark ignition not had a lot to do with dta so not sure thanks for the replys
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

In general engine settings make sure that you have twin spark 'on'.
Make sure you have external amps on.
Make sure you have set to 4 cylinders.

but even if you had twin spark off it should run on cylinders 1&2 not just 2&3. Plug leads ok?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Do all 4 fire sparks when conducting a coil test ?
Benmk1

Post by Benmk1 »

Sorted was resistor thanks boys