coil signal convertor

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
rocar

coil signal convertor

Post by rocar »

Is there anything to convert DTA coil Trigger output from -ve to +ve to use most amplified coils such as eg mitsibushi Evo and Rb26 coils

Thanks
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Re: coil signal convertor

Post by gnutz2 »

All you need to do is tick the box that says "external coil amps". Its at the bottom of the first general engine settings.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

As above, checking external amps does this

On the S series, there is an internal pullup resistor and the "charge" voltage is circa 12v, removal of this 12v, or application of 0v firs the coil.

I ran my LS1 coils like this for years

On the older ecu's I think you would need to fit a pullup resistor externally between a positive voltage supply and the coil trigger
rocar

Post by rocar »

NO switching external amps do not work, it only change the trigger waveform,This should be turned on only when using external amplifiers such as Cdi or using biuldin amplified coils such as R34 skyline and late Subaru,with the difference Subaru coils trigger -ve and work with Dta and external amps on and Nissan coils triggers +ve which they don't work with Dta neither with external amps on nor without
rocar

Post by rocar »

This is an R34 coil
[imgImage][/img]

Note
+ = +12 ignition
G = Earth on head
IB = +12v pulse

When wire this way on DTA it does not work and becomes very hot

Then wired
+ = +12v ignition
G = Dta trigger
IB = +12v ignition

Like this they work like a normal non amplified coil
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So exactly what does the coil want to operate correctly ?

12v power, ground

and trigger ?

apply 12v to fire, or apply 12v to charge, or remove 12v to fire ? etc
rocar

Post by rocar »

Permanent ignition 12v to + pin and permanent ground to G pin,I applied 12v and remove to IB pin.what I didn't noticed is if it releases sparks when applied or when removed,but I will check it tomorrow ;)
rocar

Post by rocar »

I think that's the way external amp function does,normally ecu apply a ground pulse to trigger and with external amp on you will have ground and ecu interrupt a pulse to trigger..
I'm I right ??
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

That looks like an unamplified inductive coil to me, i would switch the trigger wire to ground, ie turn the internal ECU amps off.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

rocar wrote:I think that's the way external amp function does,normally ecu apply a ground pulse to trigger and with external amp on you will have ground and ecu interrupt a pulse to trigger..
I'm I right ??
Normal inductive coils.

ECU will provide a ground to charge the coil. Upon removal of this ground the coil will fire.
Applying 12v here is the same as removing the ground, no potential difference. ie 12v rising edge to fire. ie they fire when voltage goes from Lo-Hi

Dont have a graph of both coil and trigger for normal inductive

Normal amplifier function ( whether built into the coil, or a separate amp and coil, but external from the ecu )

ECU or trigger will provide a 5-12v signal which will tell the coil to charge. Application of 0v, ie ground will make the coil fire.
ie these fire on a falling edge, voltage goes Hi-Lo

See graph
Attachments
Amplified coil, ext amps checked
Amplified coil, ext amps checked