Direct Injection with S80 and driver box is it possible

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
DJWilma
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Direct Injection with S80 and driver box is it possible

Post by DJWilma »

GDI Driver | Life Racing Ltd - http://www.liferacing.com/?page_id=35

I am wondering if anyone knows if this will work at all

Looking at running the 2.3 Disi Mazda engine in an elise
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Direct Injection with S80 and driver box is it possible

Post by Rob Stevens »

Give Alex a call at DTA as I know he is keen to develop GDI, but from the link it would appear that this module will work
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

The short answer is I haven't tested any of these units yet, so I don't know if they will work. It's on the to do list.

Edited to add:
It's not as simple as just using that unit though, as you also have to be able to control the high pressure mechanical fuel pump, so you would need to work around that problem.
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

Surely the pressure relief is a pwm signal or similar?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Yes it is, so you could run it off one of the aux outs, or possibly one of the cam outputs, but I have no details as to what the required values are yet.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Does the petrol injection use multiple injection events like the diesels ? Or just a single injection event ?

What about timing accuracy for injection ? I'd imagine this needs to be very very precise ?

Does the current DTA software even have the options to run direct injection ?
Alex DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote:Does the petrol injection use multiple injection events like the diesels ? Or just a single injection event ?
Petrol injection (GDI) uses a single injection event. The Bosch system is the only one I've looked at so far.
stevieturbo wrote:What about timing accuracy for injection ? I'd imagine this needs to be very very precise ?
The injection for Lean Burn needs to be super accurate, but the Stoichiometric and Full Power mode less so, they're similair to sequential injection. That would be all that motorsport applications would be interested in.
stevieturbo wrote:Does the current DTA software even have the options to run direct injection ?
No. However, the Life Racing GDI above doesn't seem to require a Life Racing ECU, so it may be possible for the OP to make it work, as at first glance it appears the GDI will take the injector pulse for a "normal" injector , and convert it. This would mean it only supports the Stoichiometric and Full Power modes. I could be wrong here, in that the Lean Burn mode may just be a timing and pulse width formula, but it may also require further inputs to alter the injection angles. I doubt that's of interest to the OP though.
The fuel pump could then be powered from one of the PWM outputs.
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

Sparrow thanks for this and you are right i am not too fussed on the lean burn mode

But thinking about it, whats the point of the GDI engine then

May as well stick with the S80 and run a std injection engine, only loss will be a slightly worse fuel consumption
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

The point seems to be emissions related, and perhaps also economy.

A few years ago taking a tour at Prodrive ( very much recommend anyone to go there ), one of the biggest gains they seen on the LeMans cars when they moved to DI, was a good improvement on fuel economy for same power levels.. Who cares ? They do, less time stopping for fuel means more chance of winning !

I think the Subaru BRZ runs both DI and normal injection ?
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

you can buy a port injected inlet manifold for the 2.3 Mazda DISI engine

Dont see why i couldnt just run these injectors, but they are designed for high power engines running big boost needing lots of fuel

Done some reading and the DI engines produce a bit more lower end torque as you can be more aggressive with the ignition

Spoke with Alex @ DTA lovely man, but they are a long way off a GDI driver, its on the agenda but not something they will do quickly